Structure property studies of fibres from various parts of the coconut tree
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Fibres from different structural parts of the coconut palm tree (Cocos nucifera, linn.) have been examined for properties such as size, density, electrical resistivity, ultimate tensile strength, initial modulus and percentage elongation. The stress-strain diagrams, fracture mode, microfibrillar angle as well as cellulose and lignin contents of these fibres have been determined. The observed properties have been related to the internal structure and chemical composition of the fibres. Some potential uses of these fibres have been listed.
- A. D. Mathai, N. S. Varrier and K. C. Moudgill, Ind. Coconut J. 2 (1948) 44.
- Idem, Rep. Univ. Travancore 46 (1948) 464.
- N. S. Varrier and K. C. Moudgill, J. Sci. Ind. Res. 78 (1949) 19.
- E. R. Kaswell, “Textile Fibres, Yarns and Fabrics” (Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York, 1953) p. 25.
- H. Harris, “Handbook of Textile Fibres” (Harris Research Laboratories Inc., Washington, 1954) p. 270.
- H. P. Stout and J. A. Jenkins, Amer. Sci. Textile Belzes 1955 (1956) 231.
- G. N. Prabhu, Coir 3 (1959) 29.
- Idem, ibid. 4 (1) (1959) 27.
- Idem, ibid. 4 (1960) 16.
- K. Venkateswarulu and K. Govindankutty, Acta Phys. Polon. 33 (1968) 605.
- J. V. Bhat and A. M. D. Namboodri, J. Sci. Ind. Res. 30 (1971) 720.
- C. Purushothaman, Coir J. ISA (1974) 56.
- A. G. Kulkarni, K. G. Satyanarayana, K. Sukumaran and P. K. Rohatgi, J. Mater. Sci. 16 (1981) 905.
- K. G. Satyanarayana, A. G. Kulkarni and P. K. Rohatgi, Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. (Eng. Sci.) 4 (1981) 419.
- A. G. Kulkarni, K. G. Satyanarayana and P. K. Rohatgi, J. Mater. Sci. 16 (1981) 1719.
- R. D. Preston, in “Physical Biology of Plant Cell Walls” (Chapman and Hall, London, 1978).
- J. W. S. Hearle, in “Fracture Processes in Polymeric Solids” edited by E. Rosen (International Science Publishers, New York, 1964) p. 107.
- E. C. Maclaughlin and G. A. Tait, J. Mater. Sci. 15 (1980) 89.
- Structure property studies of fibres from various parts of the coconut tree
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 17, Issue 8 , pp 2453-2462
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Regional Research Laboratory, CSIR, Trivandrum, 695019, Kerala, India
- 2. Regional Research Laboratory, Bhopal, MP, India
- 3. National Aeronautical Laboratory, 560017, Bangalore, India