Effect of grain size on cavitation in superplastic Zn-Al eutectoid
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The effect of initial grain size on cavitation during superplastic deformation in two commercially available Zn-Al eutectoid alloys has been studied using metallography and precision density measurements. Cavitation was found to be minimal for initial grain sizes below about 5 μm. Superplastic deformation caused grain growth in both alloys under all testing conditions, and when the grain size exceeded about 8 μm a significant level of cavitation was produced. The grain size and extent of cavitation increased with increasing strain along the specimen gauge length, with cavities concentrated in regions adjacent to the fracture tip. Although never very large, the cross-sectional area at fracture increased with increasing levels of cavitation. It was concluded that cavitation in Zn-Al eutectoid results from incomplete accommodation of grain-boundary sliding when excessive grain growth leads to restricted grain-boundary diffusion and/or to restricted grain-boundary migration.
- W. A. Pollard, PMD Internal Report PM-R-68-19 (Energy, Mines and Resources, Mines Branch, Ottawa, 1969).
- W. A. Pollard, Internal Report MRP/PM RL-77-67 (TR) (Energy, Mines and Resourches, Mines Branch, Ottawa, 1977).
- H. Ishikawa, D. G. Bhat, F. A. Mohamed and T. G. Langdon, Met. Trans. A 8A (1977) 523.
- M. A. I. Ahmed, F. A. Mohamed and T. G. Langdon, J. Mater. Sci. 14 (1979) 2913.
- D. A. Miller and T. G. Langdon, Met. Trans. A. 9A (1978) 1688.
- D. W. Livesey and N. Ridley, ibid. 9A (1978) 518.
- C. W. Humphries and N. Ridley, J. Mater. Sci. 9 (1974) 1429.
- D. W. Livesey and N. Ridley, ibid. 13 (1978) 825.
- F. A. Mohamed and T. G. Langdon, Acta Met. 29 (1981) 911.
- A. K. Ghosh and C. H. Hamilton, Met. Trans. A, 10A (1979) 699.
- C. W. Humphries and N. Ridley, J. Mater. Sci. 13 (1978) 2477.
- A. K. Ghosh, Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Metals and Alloys, Aachen (1979) 905.
- S. Sagat and D. M. R. Taplin, Acta Met. 24 (1976) 307.
- D. W. Livesey and N. Ridley, unpublished work (1982).
- Effect of grain size on cavitation in superplastic Zn-Al eutectoid
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 17, Issue 8 , pp 2257-2266
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors