The fracture morphology of fast unstable fracture in polycarbonate
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fracture tests were conducted on polycarbonate using compact tension specimens. With the aid of fractographic analysis techniques the effects of various geometric and test parameters on the fracture-surface morphology were studied. Four distinct regions were identified on the fracture surface: (i) initiation region, (ii) mist region, (iii) mirror region, and (iv) banded region. The extent of the mist region was found to depend inversely on the ratio of the initial crack length, a, and the specimen width, W. The fracture morphology also was affected by changes in the test temperature and externally applied compressive loads, but it did not exhibit any significant trends as a function of the loading rate. A qualitative model, called the “critical thickness craze crack interaction” (CCI) model, was developed to explain the micromechanisms involved in the fracture process. This model is based on the proposition that the various features on the fracture surface are generated by the interaction of the crack with a critical thickness craze, where the latter is that part of the main craze which has a thickness greater than some critical thickness, d.
- A. T. DiBenedetto and K. L. Trachte, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 14 (1970) 2249.
- W. Döll, J. Mater. Sci. 10 (1975) 935.
- D. Hull, in “Deformation and Fracture of High Polymers” (Plenum Press, New York, 1973) p. 171.
- N. Verheulpen-Heymans, Polymer 20 (1979) 356.
- J. G. Williams and G. P. Marshall, in “Deformation and Fracture of High Polymers” (Plenum Press, New York, 1973) p. 557.
- R. J. Morgan and J. O'Neal, Polym. Engng Sci. 18 (1978) 1081.
- E. J. Kramer and E. W. Hart, Polymer 25 (1984) 1667.
- W. G. Knauss, Appl. Mech. Rev. 26 (1973) 1.
- R. P. Kambour and R. E. Barker, J. Polym. Sci. A2, 4 (1966) 359.
- R. N. Haward, B. M. Murphy and E. F. T. White, ibid. 9 (1971) 801.
- T. Chan, A. M. Donald and E. J. Kramer, J. Mater. Sci. 16 (1981) 676.
- C. J.G. Plummer and A. M. Donald, J. Polym. Sci. B 27 (1989) 325.
- A. M. Donald and E. J. Kramer, J. Mater. Sci. 16 (1981) 2977.
- E. Passaglia, Polymer 25 (1984) 1727.
- J. Murray and D. Hull, J. Polym. Sci. A2 8 (1970) 583.
- R. J. Morgan and J. E. O'Neal, Polymer 20 (1979) 375.
- R. J. Morgan and J. E. O'Neal, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys. Ed 14 (1976) 1053.
- D. Hull and T. W. Owen, ibid. 11 (1973) 2039.
- P. Beahan, M. Bevis and D. Hull, J. Mater. Sci. 8(1972) 162.
- L. H. Lee, J. F. Mandell and F. J. McGarry, Polym. Engng Sci. 27 (1987) 1128.
- J. Murray and D. Hull, Polymer 10 (1969) 451.
- M. J. Doyle, A. Maranci, E. Orowan and S. T. Stork, Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. A 329 (1972) 137.
- E. H. Andrews, “Fracture in Polymers” (Aberdeen University Press, London, 1968) p. 182.
- R. Ravetti, W. W. Gerberich and T. E. Hutchinson, J. Mater. Sci. 10 (1975) 1441.
- M. J. Doyle, ibid. 10 (1975) 300.
- R. P. Kusy and D. T. Turner, Polymer 18 (1977) 391.
- G. H. Jacoby, in “Electron Microfractography”, ASTM STP 453 (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1969) p. 147.
- R. P. Kusy, H. B. Lee and D. T. Turner, J. Mater. Sci. 11 (1976) 118.
- A. P. Glover, F. A. Johnson and J. C. Radon, Polym. Engng Sci. 14 (1974) 420.
- A. K. Green and P. L. Pratt, Engng Fract. Mech. 6 (1974) 71.
- “Standard Method of Test for Plane Strain Fracture”, ASTM E399-83, ASTM Annual Standards (American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1986).
- J. F. Knott, in “Fundamentals of Fracture Mechanics” (Halsted Press, New York, 1979) p. 130.
- L. E. Pittman, MS Thesis, Duke University, Durham (1985).
- C. M. Agrawal and G. W. Pearsall, in “Proceedings of the 14th International Symposium on Testing and Failure Analysis”, Los Angeles, 1988 (ASM International, Metals Park, 1988) p. 405.
- C. M. Agrawal and G. W. Pearsall, submitted.
- M. J. Doyle, J. Mater. Sci. 10 (1975) 159.
- C. M. Agrawal and G. W. Pearsall. Unpublished research.
- A. N. Gent, J. Mater. Sci. 5 (1970) 925.
- O. K. Spurr and W. D. Niegisch, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 6 (1962) 585.
- A. M. Donald, J. Mater. Sci. 20 (1985) 2630.
- M. J. Wert, A. Saxena and H. A. Ernst, J. Testing Evaln 18 (1990) 1.
- R. P. Kambour, A. S. Holik and S. Miller, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys. Ed. 16 (1978) 91.
- The fracture morphology of fast unstable fracture in polycarbonate
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 26, Issue 7 , pp 1919-1930
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors