Phase relationships in the system Ni-W-O and thermodynamic properties of NiWO4
- K. T. Jacob
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The phase diagram of the Ni-W-O system at 1200 K was established by metallographic and X-ray identification of the phases present after equilibration at controlled oxygen potentials. The oxygen partial pressures over the samples were fixed by metered streams of CO+CO2 gas mixtures. There was only one ternary oxide, nickel tungstate (NiWO4), in the Ni-W-O system at a total pressure of 1 atm, and this compound decomposed to a mixture of Ni+WO2.72 on lowering the oxygen potential. The Gibbs' free energy of formation of NiWO4 was determined from the measurement of the e.m.f. of the solid oxide galvanic cell, Pt, Ni+NiWO4+WO2.72/CaO-ZrO2/Ni+NiO, Pt and thermodynamic properties of tungsten and nickel oxides available in the literature. For the reaction, NiO(s)+WO3(s)→NiWO4(s) ΔG°=−10500−0.708 T (±250) cal mol−1.
- D. W. Petrasek and R. A. Signorelli, In “Composite Materials: Testing and Design” (ASTM, Philadelphia, 1969) p. 405.
- C. Roy and S. Pastein, J. Mater. Sci. 9 (1974) 1004.
- I. Kvernes and P. Kofstad, Scand. J. Metall. 2 (1973) 291.
- O. T. Woo and C. Roy, University of Manitoba, private communication. (Presented at the 26th Canadian Metal Physics Conference, Kingston, Canada, 1976.)
- A. Navrotsky and O. J. Kleppa, Inorg Chem. 8 (1969) 756.
- Z. V. Porshina and T. N. Rezukhina, Russ. J. Inorg. Chem., 5 (1960) 488.
- J. Amosse and J. C. Mathieu, Comptes Rendus-Series C 279 (1974) 871.
- T. N. Rezukhina, G. M. Dugacheva and YU. D. Simanov, Zhur. Fiz. Khim. 31 (1957) 2206.
- C. P. Landee and E. F. Westrum Jr, J. Chem. Thermodyn. 8 (1976) 471.
- B. C. H. Steele, In “Electromotive force measurements in high temperature systems” edited by C. B. Alcock (Inst. Min. Met., London, 1968) p. 3.
- E. M. Levin, C. R. Robbins and H. F. McMurdie, “Phase Diagrams for Ceramists”, (American Ceramic Soc., Columbus, Ohio, 1964. Supplements 1969, 1975).
- D. R. Stull and H. Prophet et al., JANAF Thermochemical Tables, NSRDS — NBS 37 (U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington D.C., 1971).
- F. E. Rizzo, L. R. Bidwell and D. F. Frank, Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 239 (1967) 1901.
- M. Hansen and K. Anderko, “Constitution of Binary Alloys” (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1958) p. 1057.
- L. S. Darken and R. W. Gurry, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 67 (1945) 1398.
- K. T. Jacob and C. B. Alcock, Met. Trans. B 6B (1975) 215.
- R. T. Birge, Am. J. Phys. 7 (1939) 351.
- Phase relationships in the system Ni-W-O and thermodynamic properties of NiWO4
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 12, Issue 8 , pp 1647-1652
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- K. T. Jacob (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada