The relationship between intergranular cavitation and superplastic flow in an industrial copper base alloy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Intergranular cavitation has been observed during the superplastic deformation of a fine grain sized (1 μm) Cu-2.8% Al-1.8% Si-0.4% Co alloy when tested at temperatures ≥500° C. High voltage electron microscopy revealed that the cavities could be nucleated at twin boundary/grain boundary intersections. The maximum elongation occurs at a higher temperature than that of the maximum strain-rate sensitivity and this is explained in terms of grain-boundary migration, at the higher temperature, which restricts the cavitation process. This explanation was put forward on the basis of texture analysis which was used to study the deformation characteristics at the temperatures of maximum elongation and strain-rate sensitivity. The final fracture mode is shown to change with test temperature: (i) at 400° C no cavitation occurs and fracture is by ductile rupture, (ii) at 500 to 550° C cavitation occurs and fracture is by the interlinkage of voids by an intergranular void sheet (IVS) mechanism and (iii) at 800° C grain growth occurs and fracture occurs by the propagation and interlinkage of grain-boundary cracks along the grain boundaries.
- T. H. Alden, Acta Met. 15 (1967) 669.
- G. L. Dunlop and D. M. R. Taplin, J. Mater. Sci. 7 (1972) 316.
- G. L. Dunlop, E. Shapiro, D. M. R. Taplin and J. Crane, Met. Trans. 4 (1973) 2039.
- S. Sagat, P. Blenkinsop and D. M. R. Taplin, J. Inst. Metals 100 (1973) 268.
- R. D. Schelleng and G. H. Reynolds, Met. Trans. 4 (1973) 2199.
- B. A. Wilcox and A. H. Clauer, Third International Conference on the Strength of Metals and Alloys, Cambridge, England, August (1973).
- R. G. Fleck and D. M. R. Taplin, Canad. Met. Quart. 11 (1972) 299.
- R. G. Fleck, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Birmingham, UK, 1973.
- W. A. Backofen, I. R. Turner and D. H. Avery, Trans. ASM 57 (1966) 980.
- M. F. Ashby and R. A. Verrall, Acta Met. 21 (1973) 149.
- H. Naziri, R. Pearce, M. Henderson Brown and K. F. Hale, J. Microscopy 97 (1973) 229.
- R. G. Fleck, D. M. R. Taplin and C. J. Beevers, to be published.
- R. G. Fleck, G. J. Cocks and D. M. R. Taplin, Met. Trans. 1 (1970) 3415.
- R. G. Fleck, C. J. Beevers and D. M. R. Taplin, to be published.
- F. A. McClintock, “On the Mechanics of Fracture from Inclusions”, Ductility, A.S.M. (1968) p. 255.
- The relationship between intergranular cavitation and superplastic flow in an industrial copper base alloy
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 9, Issue 11 , pp 1737-1744
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Chalk River Nuclear Laboratories, Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd, Chalk River, Ontario, Canada
- 2. Department of Physical Metallurgy and Science of Materials, The University of Birmingham, UK
- 3. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada