Conversion of monolithic gels to glasses in a multicomponent silicate glass system
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Multicomponent silicate glasses of composition (wt%) 66SiO2-18B2O3-7Al2O3-6Na2O-3BaO were prepared by three sol-gel processes which differed primarily in the extent of hydrolysis of the metal alkoxide precursors. Gels which were prepared from solutions in which a stoichiometric excess of water was added, causing extensive replacement of OR groups (R ≡ (C x H(2x+1))s−1 by hydroxyl groups, were converted to fully dense, organic-free, monolithic glasses at temperatures near the glass transition temperature. Gels containing large numbers of OR groups showed enhanced densification at lower temperatures due to condensation reactions, but these gels could not be converted to fully dense, organic-free glasses. This investigation has shown that at least three possible densification mechanisms might be operative during the gel to glass conversion: volume relaxation, condensation reactions and viscous sintering.
- M. Yamane, S. Aso, S. Okano and T. Sakaino, J. Mater. Sci. 14 (1979) 607.
- B. Yoldas, ibid. 14 (1979) 1843.
- C. J. Brinker and S. Mukherjee, presented at the 82nd Annual Meeting of the American Ceramic Society, Chicago, IL (1980).
- I. Thomas, Patent No. 3 799 754 (1974).
- Idem, Patent No. 4 028 085 (1977).
- H. Dislich, Angew Chemie, Int. Edition 10 (1971) 363.
- G. Cartinan, V. Gottardi and M. Graziani, J. Non-Cryst. Sol. 29 (1971) 41.
- K. Kamija and S. Sakka, Res. Rep. Fac. Eng. Eng., Mie Univ. 2 (1977) 87.
- S. P. Mukherjee, J. Zarzycki and J. P. Traverse, J. Mater. Sci. 11 (1976) 341.
- S. Brunauer, P. Emmett and E. Teller, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 60 (1938) 309.
- K. Kamija, S. Sakka and Y. Ymanaka, Proceedings of the 10th International Congress on Glass, Vol. 13 (1974) p. 44.
- C. R. J. Gonzales Oliver, P. F. James and H. Rawson, 12th International Congress on Glass, Albuquerque, New Mexico (1980).
- M. Decoltignies, J. Phalippou and J. Zarzycki, J. Mater. Sci. 13 (1978) 2605.
- R. Venable and W. Wade, J. Phys. Chem. 69 (1965) 1395.
- S. Brunauer, R. Mikhail and E. Bodor, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 24 (1967) 451.
- E. Robinson and R. Ross, Canadian J. Chem. 48 (1970) 2210.
- R. Puyané, P. James and H. Rawson, J. Non-Cryst. Sol. 41 (1980) 115.
- Conversion of monolithic gels to glasses in a multicomponent silicate glass system
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 16, Issue 7 , pp 1980-1988
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors