Efficient numerical modelling of hydrogen diffusion with trapping
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In view of the growing interest both in numerical solutions of the McNabb and Foster model for hydrogen diffusion with trapping, and the computational scheme proposed by Caskey and Pillinger, a more efficient, simpler scheme is presented which more closely replaces this model. Further techniques are presented which reduce the cost of the computations yet increase the accuracy of the results. Using a formulation better adapted to analysis, and with readily comprehensible variables, bounds are given on the numerical mesh sizes which ensure the stability of the scheme. For cases where these bounds are overly restrictive, alternative numerical tests are suggested. Finally, driving equations are given on which an approximation to the McNabb and Foster model in which the concentration of traps varies with time may be validly based.
- A. McNabb and P. K. Foster, Trans. Metal. Soc. 227 (1963) 618.
- G. R. Caskey Jr and W. L. Pillinger, Metall. Trans. A 6A (1975) 467.
- R. C. Frank, C. W. Wert and H. K. Birnbaum, ibid. 10A (1979) 1627.
- J. Crank and P. Nicolson, Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. Math. Phys. Sci. 43 (1947) 50.
- L. Fox, “Numerical Solution of Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations” (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1962).
- S. H. Crandall, J. Ass. Comput. Mach. 2 (1955) 42.
- Efficient numerical modelling of hydrogen diffusion with trapping
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 16, Issue 11 , pp 3122-3130
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors