Measurements of fast light-induced light-scattering and -absorption changes in outer segments of vertebrate light sensitive rod cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Flash-induced changes of light-absorption and of light-scattering of vertebrate rod outer segments (ROS) from frog and cattle in suspension were measured at 380 and 800 nm. The photometer used allows the observation of light intensity changes under well defined angles.
We studied the successive decrease of the signal amplitude in series of flashes. One flash bleaches about 1% rhodopsin.
The following results are discussed:
The signal at 380 nm is a superposition of the absorption change caused by formation of metarhodopsin II and of a biphasic additional signal. The latter exists only for the initial range of bleaching (15 to 25% rhodopsin).
At 800 nm three scattering signals are observed which are characterized by their successive amplitude decrease and time course:
N: A small signal with time course and successive amplitude decrease comparable to the metarhodopsin II absorption change, probably arising from a structural change within the disc membrane.
Ni: A slow signal, disappearing with the first flash, which may be understood as an outer membrane effect.
P: A biphasic signal with a successive decrease rate, by a factor of 10 to 20 higher than that of the metarhodopsin II signal. The two kinetically different components are separated by variation of the observation angle. Two regions of different extension appear to change structurally with different time course. “P” may reflect an influence of the light-induced transmitter release on disc shape and/or mass.
- Abrahamson, E. W.: The kinetics of early intermediate processes in the photolysis of visual pigments. In: Biochemistry and physiology of visual pigments (ed. H. Langer), pp. 47–56. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer 1973
- Arden, G. B.: The excitation of photoreceptors. Progr. Biophys. molec. Biol. 19, 373–421 (1969)
- Barlow, H. B.: Dark and light adaptation: Psychophysies. In: Handbook of sensory physiology, vol. VII/4, chapter 1, pp. 1–28. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer 1973
- Chabre, M., Cavaggioni, A.: X-ray diffraction studies of retinal rods. II Light effect on the osmotic properties. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 382, 336–343 (1975)
- Cohen, A. I.: Electron microscope observations on form changes in photoreceptor outer segments and their saccules in response to osmotic stress. J. Cell Biol. 48, 547–565 (1971)
- McConnell, D. G.: Relationship of the light-induced proton uptake in bovine retinal outer segment fragments to triton-induced membrane-disruption and to volume changes. J. biol. Chem. 250, 1898–1906 (1975)
- Dulson, W.: Diplomarbeit, TU Berlin (1974)
- Grabowski, S. R., Pinto, L. H., Pak, W. L.: Adaptation in retinal rods of axolotl: Intracellular recordings. Science 176, 1240–1423 (1972)
- Heller, J., Ostwald, P. J., Bok, D.: The osmotic behavior of rod photoreceptor outer segment discs. J. Cell Biol. 48, 633–640 (1971)
- Korenbrot, J. I., Cone, R. A.: Dark ionic flux and the effects of light in isolated rod outer segments. J. gen. Physiol. 60, 20–45 (1972)
- Kreutz, W., Hofmann, K. P., Uhl, R.: On the significance of two-dimensional super-structures in biomembranes for energytransfer and signal-conversion. In: Biochemistry of sensory functions (ed. L. Jaenicke). 25. Mosbach-Colloquium, pp. 311–328. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer 1974
- Liebman, P. A., Jagger, W. S., Kaplan, M. W., Bargoot, F. G.: Membrane structure changes in rod outer segments associated with rhodopsin bleaching. Nature (Lond.) 251, 31–36 (1974)
- Rüppel, H., Witt, H. T.: Measurement of fast reactions by single and repetitive excitation with pulses of electromagnetic radiation. In: Methods in enzymology, Vol. XVI, p. 316. New York: Academic Press 1969
- Sickel, W.: Personal communication (1974)
- Siebert, F.: Light induced change of the fluidity of the hydrophobic region of ROS-membrane. Presented at Vth International Biophysics Congress, Copenhagen 1975
- Stange, S.: Personal communication (1973)
- Stieve, H.: Mechanismen der Erregung von Lichtsinneszellen. Vortrag Nr. N 239 der Rheinisch-WestfÄlischen Akademie der Wissenschaften (1974)
- Wald, G.: On the mechanism of visual threshold and visual adaptation. Science 119, 887–892 (1954)
- Wald, G.: Visual pigments and photoreceptors. Review and outlook. Exp. Eye Res. 18, 333–343 (1974)
- Zuckerman, R.: Ionic analysis of photoreceptor membrane currents. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 235, 333–354 (1973)
- Measurements of fast light-induced light-scattering and -absorption changes in outer segments of vertebrate light sensitive rod cells
Biophysics of structure and mechanism
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 61-77
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Flash Photolysis
- Light Scattering
- Vertebrate Photoreceptor
- Structural Changes
- Industry Sectors