On the fine structure of horse sweat glands
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Sweat glands from different representative areas of the horse have been studied in 6 animals with light microscopy and the intermandibular and coccygeal regions from 2 animals with electron microscopy. The sweat glands were numerous and well developed in all areas examined. The columnar cells, dominated by secretory PAS-positive diastase resistant vesicles, were surrounded by myoepithelial cells resting on a well developed basal lamina. The cytoplasmic organelles characteristic for cells involved in secretion were present. The extensively folded basal plasma membrane, the numerous microvilli at the luminal border and the intraepithelial canaliculi lined with microvilli were morphological structures typical of cells involved in water and electrolyte transport. The observation of cytoplasmic protrusions were suggestive of apocrine secretion.
- Biempica, L., Montes, L. F.: Secretory epithelium of the large axillary sweat glands: A cytochemical and electron microscopic study. Amer. J. Anat. 117, 47–72 (1965).
- Bunting, H., Wislocki, G. B., Dempsey, E. W.: The chemical histology of human eccrine and apocrine sweat glands. Anat. Rec. 100, 61–78 (1948).
- Charles, A.: An electron microscopic study of the human axillary apocrine gland. J. Anat. (Lond.) 93, 226–232 (1959).
- Dukes, H. H.: Physiology of domestic animals. 8. ed. Ithaca, N.Y.: Comstock Publishing Associates 1970.
- Evans, C. L., Nisbet, A. M., Ross, K. A.: A histological study of the sweat glands of normal and dry-coated horses. J. comp. Path. 67, 397–405 (1957).
- Jirka, M., Kotas, J.: Some observations on the chemical composition of horse sweat. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 147, 74–77 (1959).
- Kurosumi, K., Matsuzawa, T., Saito, F.: Electron microscopic observations on the sweat glands of the horse. Arch. histol. jap. 23, 295–310 (1963).
- Latta, H., Maunsbach, A. B., Osvaldo, L.: Ultrastructure of the kidney, ed. by Albert J. Dalton and Françoise Haguenau. New York: Academic Press 1967.
- Montagna, W.: The structure and function of skin, 2. ed. New York: Academic Press 1962.
- Montagna, W., Chase, H. B., Hamilton, J. B.: The distribution of glycogen and lipids in human skin. J. invest. Derm. 17, 147–157 (1951).
- Montes, L. F., Baker, B. L., Curtis, A. C.: The cytology of the large axillary sweat glands in man. J. invest. Derm. 35, 273–291 (1960).
- Munger, B. L.: The cytology of apocrine sweat glands. I: Cat and monkey. Z. Zellforsch. 67, 373–389 (1965).
- Pearse, D. C.: Infolded basal plasma membranes found in epithelia noted for their water transport. J. biophys. biochem. Cytol. 2, (Suppl.), 203–208 (1956).
- Planel, H., Rouleau, F., Tixador, R.: Contribution à l'étude inframicroscopique des caneaux striés des glandes salivaires. Action de l'hormone antidiurétique. C. R. Soc. Biol. (Paris) 160, 1519–1522 (1966).
- Prasad, G.: Some observations on the fine structure of the cow sweat glands. Nord vet. med. in press.
- Takagi, S., Tagawa, M.: A cytological and cytochemical study of the sweat gland of the horse. Jap. J. Physiol. 9, 153–159 (1959).
- Talukdar, A. H., Calhoun, M. L., Stinson, A. W.: Sweat glands of the horse. A histologic study. Amer. J. vet. Res. 31, 2179–2190 (1970).
- On the fine structure of horse sweat glands
Zeitschrift für Anatomie und Entwicklungsgeschichte
Volume 139, Issue 2 , pp 173-183
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Sweat glands
- Intraepithelial canaliculi
- Apocrin secretion
- Industry Sectors