Production of an antibody to mouse salivary androgen binding protein (ABP) and its use in identifying a prostate protein produced by a gene distinct from Abp
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We previously demonstrated polymorphism of a mouse salivary protein which, because of its ability to bind androgen, we designated androgen binding protein (ABP) and its structural gene, Androgen binding protein (Abp). This report describes the purification of salivary ABP and presents the amino acid composition of its subunits. Using an antibody raised against the purified protein, we demonstrated the presence of cross-reactive material (CRM) in mouse parotid, submaxillary, sublingual, and prostate glands by double immunodiffusion. Immunohistochemical detection of proteins on electroblots of polyacrylamide electrophoresis and isoelectric focusing gels, however shows that the prostate CRM is a protein with electrophoretic and isoelectric focusing behavior distinct from that of salivary ABP isoproteins. Because the DBA/2J strain has a variant of salivary ABP, that strain was analyzed to determine if a prostate ABP-CRM variant was present. The approach was hampered by an inability to detect CRM in the prostates of DBA/2J mice. Prostate CRM was detected, however, in some progeny from repeated backcrosses of DBA/2J × C3H/St hybrids to the C3H/St and DBA/2J parental strains. The prostate CRM detected in samples from animals heterozygous for salivary Abp appears to be identical to C3H/St prostate CRM, suggesting that the gene controlling prostate ABP-CRM is related to, but distinct from, Abp. The reason for reduced or absent CRM in the prostates of DBA/2J males is unknown but this finding suggests that there are strain-related differences in the expression of this prostate protein.
- Chretien M. (1977). Action of testosterone on the differentiation and secretory activity of a target organ: The submaxillary gland of the mouse. Int. Rev. Cytol. 50333.
- Dlouhy, S. R., and Karn, R. C. (1983a). Tcp (Testosterone controlled protein): The structural gene for the mouse salivary protein under the influence of Ssp (Sex-limited saliva pattern). Fed. Proc. 421046.
- Dlouhy, S. R., and Karn, R. C. (1983b). The tissue source and cellular control of the apparent size of Androgen binding protein (Abp), a mouse salivary protein whose electrophoretic mobility is under the control of sex-limited saliva pattern (Ssp). Biochem. Genet. 211057.
- Dlouhy, S. R., and Karn, R. C. (1984). Multiple gene action determining a mouse salivary protein phenotype: Identification of the structural gene for androgen binding protein (Abp). Biochem. Genet. 22657.
- Dlouhy, S. R., Nichols, W. C., and Karn, R. C. (1984). Production and use of antibodies to mouse salivary androgen binding protein. Fed. Proc. 431522.
- Dunn, J. F., Goldstein, J. L., and Wilson J. D. (1973). Development of increased cytoplasmic binding of androgen in the submandibular gland of the mouse with testicular feminization. J. Biol. Chem. 2487819.
- Gasser, D. L. (1972). Seminal vesicle protein in rats: A gene in the fourth linkage group determining electrophoretic variants. Biochem. Genet. 661.
- Heyns, W., Peeters, B., and Mous, J. (1977). Influence of androgens on the concentration of prostatic binding protein (PBP) and its mRNA in rat prostate. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 771492.
- Karn, R. C. (1981). Sex-limited effects of the expression of the db gene in mice during puberty. Biochem. Genet. 19355.
- Karn, R. C., Rosenblum B. B., Ward, J. C., Merritt, A. D., and Shulkin, J. C. (1974). Immunological relationships and post-translational modifications of human salivary (Amy1) and pancreatic (Amy2) amylase isozymes. Biochem. Genet. 12485.
- Karn R. C., Friedman, R. D., and Merritt, A. D. (1979). Human salivary proline-rich (Pr) proteins: A posttranslational derivation of the phenotypes. Biochem. Genet. 171061.
- Karn, R. C., Hjorth, J. P., Nielsen, J. T., Springer, K. R., and Dlouhy, S. R. (1980). The sex-limited expression of a salivary protein in mice. Genetics 94s52.
- Karn, R. C., Dlouhy, S. R., Springer, K. R., Hjorth, J. P., and Nielsen, J. T. (1982). Sex-limited genetic variation in a mouse salivary protein. Biochem. Genet. 20493.
- Moutier, R., Toyama, K., and Charrier, M. F. (1971). Controle genetique des proteines de la secretion des glandes seminales chez la souris et le rat. Exp. Anim. 47.
- Moutier, R., Toyama, K., and Charrier, M. F. (1973). Biochemical polymorphism in the rat, Rattus norvegicus: Genetic study of four markers. Biochem. Genet. 8321.
- Parker, M. G. and Scrace, G. T. (1979). Regulation of protein synthesis in rat vental prostate: Cell-free translation of mRNA. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 761580.
- Parker, M. G., Scrace, G. T., and Mainwaring, W. I. P. (1978). Testosterone regulates the synthesis of major proteins in rat ventral prostate. Biochem. J. 170115.
- Parker, M., Needham, M., and White, R. (1982). Prostatic steroid binding protein: Gene duplication and steroid binding. Nature 29892.
- Parker, M. G., White, R., Hurst, H., Needham, M., and Tilly, R. (1983). Prostatic steroid binding protein. Isolation and characterization of C3 genes. J. Biol. Chem. 25812.
- Platz, R. D. (1969). Mouse seminal vesical proteins. The inheritance of electrophoretic variants. J. Hered. 60187.
- Pousette, A., Bjork, P., Carlstrom, K., Forsgren, B., Gustafsson, J.-A., and Hogberg, B. (1979). On the presence of “prostatic secretion protein” in different species. Acta Chem. Scand. 34155.
- Verhoeven, G., and Wilson, J. D. (1976). Cytosol androgen binding in submandibular gland and kidney of the normal mouse and the mouse with testicular feminization. Endocrinology 9979.
- Wilson, J. D., and Goldstein, J. L. (1972). Evidence for increased cytoplasmic androgen binding in the submandibular gland of the mouse with testicular feminization. J. Biol. Chem. 2477342.
- Production of an antibody to mouse salivary androgen binding protein (ABP) and its use in identifying a prostate protein produced by a gene distinct from Abp
Volume 24, Issue 9-10 , pp 743-763
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- androgen binding proteins
- mouse salivary proteins
- mouse prostate
- Western transfer