An integrative model of clinical-ethical decision making
- Rivka Grundstein-Amado
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this paper is to propose a model of clinical-ethical decision making which will assist the health care professional to arrive at an ethically defensible judgment. The model highlights the integration between ethics and decision making, whereby ethics as a systematic analytic tool bring to bear the positive aspects of the decision making process. The model is composed of three major elements. The ethical component, the decision making component and the contextual component. The latter incorporates the relational aspects between the provider and the patient and the organizational structure. The model suggests that in order to arrive at an ethically, justifiable sound decision one make reference to those three elements.
- Martin A. A clinical model for decision making. J Med Ethics 1978;4:200–6.
- Siegler M. Decision making strategy for clinical-ethical problems in medicine. Arch Intern Med 1982;142:2178–9.
- Candee D, Puka B. An analytic approach to resolving problems in medical ethics. J Med Ethics 1983;9/10:61–9.
- Pellegrino ED. The anatomy of clinical ethical judgments in perinatology and neonatology: a substantive and procedural framework. Semin Perinatol 1987;11:202–9.
- Grundstein-Amado R. Ethical Decision Making Processes in the Health Care System. [Dissertation]. Toronto: University of Toronto, 1990.
- Beauchamp TL, Childress JF. Principles of Biomedical Ethics. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1989.
- Kluckhohn C. Values and value-orientations in the theory of action: an exploration in definition and classification. In: Parson T, Shils EA, eds. Toward A General Theory of Action. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1951:388–433.
- Callahan S. The role of emotions in ethical decision making. Hastings Cent Rep 1988;18:9–14.
- Kluckhohn FR, Strodtbeck FL. Variations in Value Orientations. Evanston: Row, Peterson and Company, 1961.
- Rokeach M. The Nature of Human Values. New York: The Free Press, 1973.
- Beck C. Educational Philosophy and Theory: An Introduction. Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1974.
- Beck C. The Nature of Values and Implications for Value Education, 1984 (unpublished manuscript).
- Levine RJ. Ethics and Regulation of Clinical Research. Baltimore: Urban & Schwarzenberg, 1986.
- Jameton A. Nursing Practice: The Ethical Issues. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc, 1984.
- Rawls J. A Theory of Justice. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press, 1971.
- Simon HA. The Administrative Behavior. New York: Free Press, 1957.
- Elstein AS. Cognitive processes in clinical inference and decision making. In: Turk DC, Salovey P, eds. Reasoning, Inference, and Judgment in Clinical Psychology. New York: The Free Press, 1988:17–50.
- March J, Simon H. Organizations. New York: John Wiley, Inc, 1958.
- Harrison F. The Managerial Decision Making Process. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1987.
- Wilson C, Alexis M. Basic framework for decisions. Journal of the Academy of Management 1962;5:20–5.
- Hodgkinson C. Towards A Philosophy of Administration. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1978.
- Broekman JM. The philosophical basis of medicine as a philosophical question. Theor Med 1987;8:135–45.
- Childress JF. Who Should Decide? Paternalism in Health Care. New York: Oxford University Press, 1982.
- Childress JF, Siegler M. Metaphors and models of doctor-patient relationships: their implications for autonomy. Theor Med 1984;5:17–30.
- Hoffmaster B, Weston W. The patient in the family and the family in the patient. Theor Med 1987;8:321–32.
- Lock JD. Some aspects of medical hermeneutics: the role of dialectic and narrative. Theor Med 1990;11:41–9.
- Mouzelis NP. Organisation and Bureaucracy. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1985.
- Perrow C. Complex Organizations. A Critical Essay. New York: Newbery Award Records, Inc, 1986.
- Eakin J. Hospital power structure and the democratization of hospital administration in Quebec. Soc Sci Med 1984;18:221–8.
- Fletcher C. Commentary. J Med Ethics 1983;9:69–70.
- An integrative model of clinical-ethical decision making
Volume 12, Issue 2 , pp 157-170
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- decision making process
- ethical clinical decision making models
- medical ethics
- moral thought process
- organizational structure
- professional-patient relationship
- value theory
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 3560 Bathurst Street, M6A 2E1, North York, Ontario, Canada