Casuistry and clinical ethics
- Albert R. Jonsen
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
For the last century, moral philosophy has stressed theory for the analysis of moral argument and concepts. In the last decade, interest in the ethical issues of health care has stimulated attention to cases and particular instances. This has revealed the gap between ethical theory and practice. This article reviews the history and method of casuistry which for many centuries provided an approach to practical ethics. Its strengths and weaknesses are noted and its potential for contemporary use explored.
- Aristotle, (1941) The Rhetoric. Random House, New York
- Cicero, (1949) De Inventione. Harvard University Press, Cambridge
- Hare, R. M. (1981) Moral Thinking: Its Levels, Method and Point. Clarendon Press, Oxford
- Jonsen, A. R. Can an ethicist be a consultant?. In: Abernathy, V. eds. (1980) Frontiers in Medical Ethics. Ballinger, Cambridge
- Jonsen, A. R., Siegler, M., Winslade, W. (1982) Clinical Ethics. Macmillan Publishing Co., New York
- Kirk, K. (1927) Conscience and Its Problems. Longman's Green, London
- Research Involving Children. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- The Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- Pascal, B. (1956) The Provincial Letters. Penguin Books, Baltimore
- Ramsey, P. (1970) The Patient As Person. Yale University press, New Haven
- Russell, B.: 1979, ‘On the presumption against taking life’; Tramell, R.: ‘On the non-equivalency of saving life and not taking life’; Menzel, P.: ‘Are killing and letting die morally different in medical contexts’, all in Journal of Philosophy and Medicine 4.
- Self, D. J. (1979) Philosophical foundation of various approaches to medical ethical decision making. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 4: pp. 20-31
- Siegler, M. (1978) Teaching clinical ethics at the bedside. New England Journal of Medicine 239: pp. 951-955
- Sidgwick, H. (1874) The Methods of Ethics. Macmillan, London
- Thomasma, D. C. (1979) Medical ethics teaching. Journal of Medical Education 54: pp. 898-904
- Warnock, G. J. (1967) Contemporary Moral Philosophy. St. Martin's Press, New York
- Whewell, W. (1852) Lectures on the History of Moral Philosophy in England. John Parker, London
- Casuistry and clinical ethics
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 65-74
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Clinical ethics
- Case study
- Practical ethics
- Albert R. Jonsen (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, 94143, San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.