The tissue source and cellular control of the apparent size of androgen binding protein (Abp), a mouse salivary protein whose electrophoretic mobility is under the control of Sex-limited saliva pattern (Ssp)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Expression of the dominant allele, Ssp Sat the Sex-limited saliva pattern locus in mice results in an alteration of the electrophoretic mobility of a mouse salivary protein from the F (fast) to the S (slow) type [Karn, R. C., et al. (1980). Genetics 94:s52; Karn, R. C., et al. (1982). Biochem. Genet. 20:493]. We now demonstrate that the protein affected binds androgen and has a basic heterodimeric structure with the subunits connected by disulfide bridging. It is produced in the submaxillary gland where the alteration takes place. The change in electrophoretic mobility from F to S appears to be primarily the result of an increase in the molecular weight of the larger subunit since the isoelectric point changes very little. We discuss the possible causes of the increase in molecular weight.
- Dlouhy, S. R., and Karn, R. C. (1983). TCP (Testosterone controlled protein): The structural gene for the mouse salivary protein under the influence of Ssp (Sex-limited saliva pattern). Fed. Proc. 421046.
- Heyns, W., Bossyns, D., Peeters, B., and Rombants, W. (1982). Study of a proline-rich polypeptide bound to the prostatic binding protein of rat ventral prostate. J. Biol. Chem. 2577407.
- Heyns, W., Peeters, B., and Bossyns, D. (1983). Multiple forms of the proline-rich polypeptide (PRP) bound to rat prostatic binding protein. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 111172.
- Karn, R. C. (1981). Sex-limited effects of the expression of the db gene in mice during puberty. Biochem. Genet. 19355.
- Karn, R. C., Hjorth, J. P., Nielsen, J. T., Springer, K. R., and Dlouhy, S. R. (1980). The sex-limited expression of a salivary protein in mice. Genetics 94s52.
- Karn, R. C., Dlouhy, S. R., Springer, K. R., Hjorth, J. P., and Nielsen, J. T. (1982). Sex-limited genetic variation in a mouse salivary protein. Biochem. Genet. 20493.
- Kueppers, F. (1976). Determination of α1-antitrypsin phenotypes by isoelectric focusing in polyacrylamide gels. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 88151.
- Laemmli, U. K. (1970). Cleavage and structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227680.
- Laskey, R. A., and Mills, A. D. (1975). Quantitative film detection of 3H and 14C in polyacrylamide gels by fluorography. Eur. J. Biochem. 56335.
- Matsushima, Y., and Ikemoto, S. (1981). Biochemical genetic marker and sex difference in mouse salivary protein. Jap. J. Zootech. Sci. 52566.
- Matsushima, Y., and Ikemoto, S. (1982). Genetic analysis of mouse salivary protein system-1 (Msp-1). Jap. J. Zootech. Sci. 53617.
- Parker, M., Needham, M., and White, R. (1982). Prostatic steroid binding protein: Gene duplication and steroid binding. Nature 29892.
- Passmore, H. C., and Shreffler, D. C. (1970). A sex-limited serum protein variant in the mouse: Inheritance and association with the H-2 region. Biochem. Genet. 4351.
- Verhoeven, G., and Wilson, J. D. (1976). Cytosol androgen binding in submandibular gland and kidney of the normal mouse and the mouse with testicular feminization. Endocrinology 9979.
- The tissue source and cellular control of the apparent size of androgen binding protein (Abp), a mouse salivary protein whose electrophoretic mobility is under the control of Sex-limited saliva pattern (Ssp)
Volume 21, Issue 11-12 , pp 1057-1070
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- mouse salivary protein
- heterodimeric structure
- androgen binding
- testicular feminization
- two-dimensional electrophoresis