Multiple gene action determining a mouse salivary protein phenotype: Identification of the structural gene for androgen binding protein (Abp)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A novel variation in electrophoretic phenotype is described for a mouse salivary androgen binding protein (Abp). Crosses show that the variation is inherited in an autosomal codominant manner and protein characterization studies show that the variant Abp differs in isoelectric point from the common form of the protein. Those observations suggest that the variation involves the structural gene for the mouse salivary Abp. The genetic studies also show that the electrophoretic mobility of the variant Abp can be influenced by the sex-limited saliva pattern (Ssp) gene. The Ssp S allele alters the electrophoretic mobility of Abp in males at puberty or in females which have received exogenous testosterone [Karn, R. C., Dlouhy, S. R., Springer, K. R., Hjorth, J. P., and Nielsen, J. T. (1982). Biochem Genet. 20:493]. This study shows that Abp and Ssp are distinct genes which are not closely linked and that Ssp S is trans active in F1 (Abp a /Abp b , Ssp S /Ssp F ) males.
- Chen, C., Hiipakka, R. A., and Liao, S. (1979). Prostate α-protein: Subunit structure, polyamine binding, and inhibition of nuclear chromatin binding of androgen receptor complex. J. Steroid Biochem. 11401.
- Chen, C., Schilling, K., Hiipakka, R. A., Huang, I.-Y., and Liao, S. (1982). Prostate α-protein. J. Biol. Chem. 257116.
- Dlouhy, S. R., and Karn, R. C. (1983). The tissue source and cellular control of the apparent size of androgen binding protein (Abp), a mouse salivary protein whose electrophoretic mobility is under the control of sex-limited saliva pattern (Ssp). Biochem. Genet. 211057.
- Forsgren, B., Bjork, P., Carlstrom, K., Gustafsson, J. A., Pousette, A., and Hoberg, B. (1979). Purification and distribution of a major protein in rat prostate that binds estramustine, a nitrogen mustard derivation of estradiol-17. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 763149.
- Heyns, W., and de Moor, P. (1977). Prostatic binding protein. Eur. J. Biochem. 78221.
- Heyns, W., Peeters, B., and Mous, J. (1977). Influence of androgens on the concentration of prostatic binding protein (PBP) and its mRNA in rat prostate. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 771492.
- Karn, R. C. (1981). Sex-limited effects of the expression of the db gene in mice during puberty. Biochem. Genet. 19355.
- Karn, R. C., Hjorth, J. P., Nielsen, J. T., Springer, K. R., and Dlouhy, S. R. (1980). The sex-limited expression of a salivary protein in mice. Genetics 94:s52.
- Karn, R. C., Dlouhy, S. R., Springer, K. R., Hjorth, J. P., and Nielsen, J. T. (1982). Sex-limited variation in a mouse salivary protein. Biochem. Genet. 20493.
- Lea, O. A., Petrusz, P., and French, F. S. (1979). Prostatein. A major secretory protein of the rat ventral prostate. J. Biol. Chem. 2546196.
- Luckock, A., and Cavalli-Sforza, L. L. (1983). Detection of genetic variation with radioactive ligands. V. Genetic variants of testosterone-binding globulin in human serum. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 3549.
- Parker, M., Needham, M., and White, R. (1982). Prostatic steroid binding protein: Gene duplication and steroid binding. Nature 29892.
- Passmore, H. C., and Schreffler, D. C. (1970). A sex-limited serum protein variant in the mouse: Inheritance and association with the H-2 region. Biochem. Genet. 4351.
- Szoka, P. R., and Paigen, K. (1978). Regulation of mouse major urinary protein production by the MUP-A gene. Genetics 90597.
- Toole, J. J., Hastie, N. D., and Held, W. A. (1979). An abundant androgen-regulated mRNA in the mouse kidney. Cell 17441.
- Verhoeven, G., and Wilson, J. D. (1976). Cytosol androgen binding in submandibular gland and kidney of the normal mouse and the mouse with testicular feminization. Endocrinology 9979.
- Wilson, C. M., Cherry, M., Taylor, B. A., and Wilson, J. D. (1981). Genetic and endocrine control of renin activity in the submaxillary gland of the mouse. Biochem. Genet. 19509.
- Multiple gene action determining a mouse salivary protein phenotype: Identification of the structural gene for androgen binding protein (Abp)
Volume 22, Issue 7-8 , pp 657-667
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- androgen binding proteins
- mouse salivary proteins
- structural gene variation