The function of the Waxy locus in starch synthesis in maize endosperm
- Chia-Yin Tsai
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The soluble adenosine diphosphate glucose-starch glucosyltransferase of maize (Zea mays L.) endosperm uses adenosine diphosphate glucose as a sole substrate, but the starch granule-bound nucleoside diphosphate glucose-starch glucosyltransferase utilizes both adenosine diphosphate glucose and uridine diphosphate glucose. The soluble glucosyltransferase can be bound to added amylose or to maize starch granules that contain amylose. However, binding of the soluble enzyme to the starch granules does not change its substrate specificity to that of the natural starch granule-bound glucosyltransferase. Furthermore, the soluble glucosyltransferase bound to starch granules can be removed by repeated washing without a change in specificity. The bound glucosyltransferase can be released by mechanical disruption of starch granules, and the released enzyme behaves in a manner similar to that of the bound enzyme in several respects. These observations suggest that the soluble and bound glucosyltransferases are different enzymes. The starch granule-bound glucosyltransferase activity is linearly proportional to the number of Wx alleles present in the endosperm. This is compatible with the hypothesis that the Wx allele is a structural gene coding for the bound glucosyltransferase, which is important for the normal synthesis of amylose.
- Akatsuka, T., and Nelson, O. E. (1969). Studies on starch synthesis in maize mutants. J. Jap. Soc. Starch Sci. 1799.
- Akazawa, T., and Murata, T. (1965). Absorption of ADPG-starch transglucosylase by amylose. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 1921.
- Cowie, J. M. G., and Greenwood, C. T. (1957). Physicochemical studies on starches. Part VI. Aqueous leaching and the fractionation of potato starch. J. Chem. Soc. Lond., p. 2862.
- DeFekete, M. A. R., Leloir, L. F., and Cardini, C. D. (1960). Mechanism of starch biosynthesis. Nature 187918.
- Frydman, R. B., and Cardini, C. E. (1964). Biosynthesis of phytoglycogen from adenosine diphosphate d-glucose in sweet corn. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 14353.
- Frydman, R. B., and Cardini, C. E. (1967). Studies on the biosynthesis of starch. II. Some properties of the adenosine diphosphate glucose:starch glucosyltransferase bound to the starch granule. J. Biol. Chem. 242312.
- Fuwa, H. (1957). Phosphorylase and Q enzyme in developing maize kernels. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 70152.
- Hassid. W. Z. (1954). In Greenberg, D. M. (ed.), Chemical Pathways of Metabolism, Vol. 1, Academic Press, New York, p. 235.
- Jeanes, A., Wise, C. S., and Dimlev, R. J. (1951). Improved techniques in paper chromatography of carbohydrates. Anal. Chem. 23415.
- Kramer, H. H., Pfahler, P. L., and Whistler, R. L. (1958). Gene interactions in maize affecting endosperm properties. Agron. J. 50207.
- McGuire, J. P., and Erlander, S. R. (1966). Quantitative isolation and dispersion of starch from corn kernels without degradation. Die Stärke 19337.
- Nelson, O. E., and Rines, H. W. (1962). The enzymatic deficiency in the waxy mutant of maize. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 9297.
- Nelson, O. E., and Tsai, C. Y. (1964). Glucose transfer from adenosine diphosphate glucose to starch in preparations of waxy seeds. Science 1451194.
- Sprague, G. F., Brimhall, B., and Hixon, R. M. (1943). Some effects of the waxy gene in corn on properties of the endosperm starch. Agron. J. 55817.
- Tanaka, Y., and Akazawa, T. (1968). Substrate specificity of the granule-bound and chloroplastic starch synthetase. Plant Cell Physiol. 9405.
- Tsai, C. Y. (1965). Correlation of enzymatic activity with Wx dosage. Maize Genet. Coop News Letter 39153.
- Tsai, C. Y. (1973). The activity of maize α-1,4 glucan glucosyltransferases in vitro. Bot. Bull. 1475.
- Tsai, C. Y., and Nelson, O. E. (1966). Starch-deficient maize mutant lacking adenosine diphosphate glucose pyrophosphorylase activity. Science 151341.
- Tsai, C. Y., Salamini, F., and Nelson, O. E. (1970). Enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism in the developing endosperm of maize. Plant Physiol. 46299.
- Ulmann, M., and Augustat, S. (1958). Die quantitative Bestimmung des Gehaltes an Amylose in Stärke nach der “Blauwert” Methode unter Verwendung des Universal-colorimeters von B. Lange. Z. Anal. Chem. 162337.
- The function of the Waxy locus in starch synthesis in maize endosperm
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 83-96
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Zea mays
- Chia-Yin Tsai (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana