Confusion in cladism
- Patricia A. Williams
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In Phylogenetic Systematics (1966), Willi Hennig conflates the Linnaean hierarchy with what Hennig refers to as the “divisional hierarchy”. In doing so, he lays the foundations of that school of biological taxonomy known as “cladism” on a philosophically ambiguous basis. This paper compares and contrasts the two hierarchies and demonstrates that Hennig conflates them. It shows that Hennig's followers also conflate them. Finally, it illuminates five persistent problems in cladism by suggesting that they arise from Hennig's original confusion.
- Eldredge, N. and J. Cracraft: 1980, Phylogenetic Patterns and the Evolutionary Process, Columbia University Press, New York.
- Gregg, J. R.: 1954, The Language of Taxonomy, Columbia University Press, New York.
- Hennig, W.: 1966, Phylogenetic Systematics, trans. D. D. Davis and R. Zangerl, University of Illinois Press, Urbana.
- Hull, D. L.: 1970, ‘Contemporary Systematic Philosophies’, Annual Review of Ecology Systematics 1, 19–54.
- Hull, D. L.: 1976, ‘The Limits of Cladism’, Systematic Zoology 28, 416–40.
- Mayr, E.: 1974, ‘Cladistic Analysis or Cladistic Classification?’, in E. Mayr, Evolution and the Diversity of Life, Harvard University Press, Cambridge MA, pp. 433–76.
- Nelson, G. and N. Platnick: 1981, Systematics and Biogeography, Cladistics and Vicariance, Columbia University Press, New York.
- Ridley, M:, 1986, Evolution and Classification, The Reformation of Cladism, Longman, London.
- Woodger, J. H.: 1952, ‘From Biology to Mathematics’, British Journal of Philosophy of Science 3, 1–21.
- Confusion in cladism
Volume 91, Issue 1-2 , pp 135-152
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dept. of History and International Studies, Virginia State University, Box 24, 23806, Petersburg, VA, USA