Sex-limited genetic variation in a mouse salivary protein
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This report describes a gene which influences the electrophoretic mobility of a protein in the salivas of adult mice. Three categories of phenotype have been observed: the two single-banded types, F (Fast) and S (Slow), and the two-banded type, SF (Slow-Fast), with the two bands represented in varying proportions. All females, regardless of age or strain, and all males before puberty show only the F phenotype. Males of the BALB/c and C57BL/6J strains show the F phenotype throughout puberty and adult life, whereas males of the C3H/St and C57BL/KsJ strains show the SF phenotype in puberty and the S phenotype in adult life. We have designated this variation the sex-limited saliva pattern (Ssp). The results from genetic crosses indicate that the variation among the strains is determined by an autosomal locus, Ssp, with two alleles, Ssp S andSsp F ,where Ssp S is dominant to Ssp F .Testosterone treatment can accelerate the acquisition of the S type in males of the strains C3H/St and C57BL/KsJ and also induces that phenotype in C3H/St females and C57BL/6J males. Thus it appears that the observed strain-specific differences reflect a genetic variation in androgen levels and/or androgen sensitivity rather than variation in a structural gene.
- Azen, E. A. (1978). Genetic protein polymorphisms in human saliva: An interpretive review. Biochem. Genet. 1679.
- Azen, E. A., and Denniston, C. L. (1974). Genetic polymorphisms of human salivary proline-rich proteins: Further genetic analysis. Biochem. Genet. 12109.
- Bray, G. A., and York, D. A. (1971). Genetically transmitted obesity in rodents. Physiol. Rev. 51598.
- Hjorth, J. P., Lusis, A. J., and Nielsen, J. T. (1980). Multiple structural genes for mouse amylase. Biochem. Genet. 18281.
- Jean-Faucher, C., Berger, M., De Turckheim, M., Veyssiere, G., and Jean, C. (1978). Developmental patterns of plasma and testicular testosterone in mice from birth to adulthood. Acta Endocrinol. 89780.
- Karn, R. C. (1981). Sex-limited effects of the expression of the db gene in mice during puberty. Biochem. Genet. 19355.
- Karn, R. C., and Malacinski, G. M. (1978). The comparative biochemistry, physiology and genetics of animal α-amylases. Adv. Comp. Physiol. Biochem. 71.
- Karn, R. C., Shulkin, J. D., Merritt, A. D., and Newell, R. C. (1973). Evidence for posttranscriptional modification of human salivary amylase (Amy1) isozymes. Biochem. Genet. 10341.
- Karn, R. C., Friedman, R. D., and Merritt, A. D. (1979). Human salivary proline-rich (Pr) proteins: A posttranslational derivation of the phenotypes. Biochem. Genet. 171061.
- Karn, R. C., Hjorth, J. P., Nielsen, J. T., Springer, K. R., and Dlouhy, S. R. (1980). The sex-limited expression of a salivary protein in mice. Genetics 94s52.
- Laemmli, U. K. (1970). Cleavage and structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227680.
- Merritt, A. D., and Karn, R. C. (1977). The human α-amylases. Adv. Hum. Genet. 8135.
- Nielsen, J. T. (1977). Variation in the number of genes coding for salivary amylase in the bank vole, Clethrionomys glareola. Genetics 85155.
- Owerbach, D., and Hjorth, J. P. (1980). Inheritance of a parotid secretory protein in mice and its use in determining salivary amylase quantitative variants. Genetics 95129.
- Paigen, K., Swank, R. T., Tomino, S., and Ganschow, R. E. (1975). The molecular genetics of mammalian glucuronidase. J. Cell. Physiol. 85379.
- Parker, K. L., Roos, M. H., and Shreffler, D. C. (1979). Structural characterization of the murine fourth component of complement and sex-limited protein and their precursors: Evidence for two loci in the S region of the H-2 complex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 765853.
- Passmore, H. C., and Shreffler, D. C. (1970). A sex-limited serum protein variant in the mouse: Inheritance and association with the H-2 region. Biochem. Genet. 4351.
- Sick, K., and Nielsen, J. T. (1964). Genetics of amylase isoenzymes in the mouse. Hereditas 51291.
- Studier, F. W. (1973). Analysis of bacteriophage T1 early RNAs and proteins on slab gels. J. Mol. Biol. 79237.
- Szoka, P. R., and Paigen, K. (1978). Regulation of mouse major urinary protein production by the MUP-A gene. Genetics 90597.
- Toole, J. J., Hastie, N. D., and Held, W. A. (1979). An abundant androgen-regulated mRNA in the mouse kidney. Cell 17441.
- Sex-limited genetic variation in a mouse salivary protein
Volume 20, Issue 5-6 , pp 493-504
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- mouse salivary proteins
- sex-limited variation
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medical Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, 46223, Indianapolis, Indiana
- 2. Department of Molecular Biology, University of Aarhus, DK-8000, Aarhus C, Denmark