The genetics and biochemistry of urease in Ustilago violacea
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two complementing loci in different linkage groups of the basidiomycete Ustilago violacea are involved in urease activity: a structural one (ure-1) and a second inferred to involve a permease (ure-2) locus. Two types of complementing mutations occur in the structural locus: null activity (ure-1a) and obviously reduced activity (ure-1b). The ure-2 mutants lacked urease activity in vivo on the phenol red-urea test medium, but gave extracts with wild-type activity. Extracts from wild-type strains gave one site of urease activity after polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. A number of ure-1b mutants and active revertants from ure-1a mutants yielded electrophoretically variant urease sites. The results are discussed in terms of enzyme polymorphism in haploid eukaryotes by one (missense) or two (null, then missense) mutations.
- Baird, M. L., and Garber, E. D. (1979). Genetics of Ustilago violacea. IV. An electrophoretic survey for urease variants in wild strains. Bot. Gaz. 14084.
- Benson, E. W., and Howe, H. B., Jr. (1978). Reversion and interallelic complementation at four urease loci in Neurospora crassa. Mol. Gen. Genet. 165277.
- Bradford, L. S., Jones, R. J., and Garber, E. D. (1975). An electrophoretic survey of fourteen species of the fungal genus Ustilago. Bot. Gaz. 136109.
- Christensen, W. B. (1946). Urea decomposition as a means of differentiating Proteus and Paracolon cultures from each other and from Salmonella and Shigella types. J. Bact. 52461.
- Clare, B. G., Flentje, N. T., and Atkinson, M. R. (1968). Electrophoretic patterns of oxidoreductases and other proteins as criteria in fungal taxonomy. Austral. J. Sci. 21275.
- Cooper, T. G., and Sumrada, R. (1975). Urea transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Bact. 121571.
- Davis, R. H. (1970). Sources of urea in Neurospora. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 251412.
- Day, A. W., and Jones, J. K. (1968). The production and characterization of diploids in Ustilago violacea. Genet. Res. 1163.
- Day, A. W., and Jones, J. K. (1969). Sexual and parasexual analysis of Ustilago violacea. Genet. Res. 14195.
- Fishbein, W. N., Winter, T. S., and Dividson, J. D. (1965). Urease catalysis. I. Stoichiometry, specificity, and kinetics of a second substrate: Hydroxyurea. J. Biol. Chem. 2402402.
- Fishbein, W. N. (1969). The structural basis for the catalytic complexity of urease: Interacting and interconvertible molecular species (with a note on isozyme classes). N.Y. Acad. Sci. 147857.
- Gorin, G., and Chin, C. C. (1966). Urease. VI. A new method of assay and the specific enzymatic activity. Anal. Biochem. 1749.
- Haysman, P., and Howe, H. B. (1971). Some genetic and physiological characteristics of urease-defective strains of Neurospora crassa. Can. J. Gen. Cytol. 13256.
- Hubby, H. L., and Lewontin, R. C. (1966). A molecular approach to the study of genic heterozygosity in natural populations. I. The number of alleles at different loci in Drosophila psuedoobscura. Genetics 54577.
- Kurzeja, K. C., and Garber, E. D. (1973). A genetic study of electrophoretically variant extracellular amylotic enzymes of wild-type strains of Aspergillus nidulans. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 15275.
- Larson, K. J., and Kallio, R. E. (1954). Purification and properties of bacterial urease. J. Bact. 6867.
- Leob, W. F., and Stuhlman, R. A. (1969). A colorimetric method for the determination of serum arginase activity. Clin. Chem. 15152.
- Reithel, F. J., Robbins, J. E., and Gorin, G. (1964). A structural subunit molecular weight of urease. Arch. Biochem. 108409.
- Roon, R. J., and Levenberg, B. (1972). Urea amidolyase. I. Properties of the enzyme from Candida utilis. J. Biol. Chem. 2474107.
- Siegel, L. M., and Monty, K. J. (1965). Determination of molecular weights and frictional ratios of macromolecules in impure systems: Aggregation of urease. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 19494.
- Sumner, J. B. (1926). The isolation and crystallization of the enzyme urease. J. Biol. Chem. 69435.
- Summer, J. B., Graten, N., and Erikson-Quensel, I. (1938). The molecular weight of urease. J. Biol. Chem. 12537.
- West, N. B., and Garber, E. D. (1967). Genetic studies of variant enzymes. I. An electrophoretic survey of esterases and leucine aminopeptidases in the genus Phaseolus. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 9640.
- Whitney, P. A., and Cooper, T. G. (1972). Urea carboxylase and allophanate hydrolase. Two components of adenosine triphosphate: Urea and lyase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Biol. Chem. 2471349.
- The genetics and biochemistry of urease in Ustilago violacea
Volume 19, Issue 11-12 , pp 1101-1114
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Ustilago violacea