Identification, properties, and genetic control of UDP-glucose: Cyanidin-3-rhamnosyl-(1→6)-glucoside-5-O-glucosyltransferase isolated from petals of the red campion (Silene dioica)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An enzyme catalyzing the transfer of the glucosyl moiety of UDP-glucose to the 5-hydroxyl group of cyanidin-3-rhamnosyl-(1→6)-glucoside has been demonstrated in petal extracts of Silene dioica plants. This glucosyltransferase activity was not detectable in green parts of these plants. The enzyme activity is controlled by a single dominant gene M; no glucosyltransferase activity could be demonstrated in petals of m/m plants. The enzyme was purified eightyfold by PVP and Sephadex G50 chromatography. The glucosyltransferase had a pH optimum of 7.4, had a molecular weight of about 55,000, was stimulated by divalent metal ions, and had a “true Km” value of 0.5×10−3 m for UDP-glucose and 3.6×10−3 m for cyanidin-3-rhamnosylglucoside. Pelargonidin-3-rhamnosylglucoside also could serve as acceptor. The enzyme did not catalyze the glucosylation of the 5-hydroxyl group of cyanidin-3-glucoside, although in petals of M/- n/n mutants cyanidin-3,5-diglucoside is present. ADP-glucose could not serve as a glucosyl donor.
- Andrews, P. (1965). Biochem. J. 96595.
- Barber, G. A. (1962). Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 8203.
- Barber, G. A. (1963). Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 103276.
- Barber, G. A. (1966). Meth. Enzymol. 8307.
- ChandraRajan, J., and Klein, J. (1975). Anal. Chem. 69632.
- Florini, J. R., and Vestling, C. S. (1957). Biochim. Biophys. Acta 25575.
- Hassid, W. R. (1967). Ann. Rev. Physiol. 18253.
- Jorgensen, E. C., and Geissman, T. A. (1955). Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 55389.
- Kamsteeg, J., van Brederode, J., and van Nigtevecht, G. (1976). Phytochemistry 151917.
- Kamsteeg, J., van Brederode, J., and van Nigtevecht, G. (1978). Biochem. Genet. 161045.
- Krishnamurty, H. G., Krishnamoorthy, V., and Seshadri, T. R. (1963). Phytochemistry 247.
- Lineweaver, H., and Burk, D. (1934). J. Am. Chem. Soc. 56658.
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, H. J., Farr, A. L., and Randall, R. J. (1951). J. Biol. Chem. 193265.
- Lynn, D. Y. C., and Luh, B. S. (1964). J. Food Sci. 29735.
- Van Brederode, J., van Nigtevecht, G., and Kamsteeg, J. (1975). Heredity 35429.
- Van Nigtevecht, G. (1966). Genetica 37281.
- Identification, properties, and genetic control of UDP-glucose: Cyanidin-3-rhamnosyl-(1→6)-glucoside-5-O-glucosyltransferase isolated from petals of the red campion (Silene dioica)
Volume 16, Issue 11-12 , pp 1059-1071
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Silene dioica
- Red Campion
- anthocyanin biosynthesis
- genetic control
- cyanidin and pelargonidin glycosides