Soil acidification along a topographic gradient on Roundtop Mountain, Quebec, Canada
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We examined the effects that different acidic loadings have had on soil chemistry along a toposequence on Roundtop Mountain. Due to fog interception by the forest canopy, the amount of time in the clouds is a major factor determining the amount and chemistry of precipitation reaching the soil and hence, acid precipitation loading is directly related to elevation. Soils on a transect from 520 to 850 m show a pattern of chemistry that corresponds to the loading of acidic deposition. Soil solutions collected at two elevations show different levels of both SO4 and Cl, two of the anions in fog water as well as differences in concentrations of H ion and Al. Surface horizons of soils located at 850 m have pH in water as low as 3.7; in mineral horizons base saturation is extremely low (<5%) and Al saturation exceeds 95% in many cases. In contrast, lower on the mountain slope (below 650 m), pH is slightly higher (about 4.1) and base saturation rises to over 50% for the same soil horizons. There is a clear relationship between soil acidification and position on the mountain.
- Berden, M., Nilsson, S.I., Rosen, K. and Tyler, G.: 1987. Soil acidification: extent, causes and consequences. National Swedish Environment Protection Board. Report no. 3292. 164 p.
- Bernier, B. and Brazeau, M.: 1988a. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 18, 754.
- Bernier, B. and Brazeau, M.: 1988b. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 18, 762.
- Bernier, B. and Brazeau, M.: 1988c. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 18, 1265.
- Bredemeier, M., Matzner, E. and Ulrich, B.: 1990. Journal of Environmental Quality, 19, 469.
- Federer, C.A., Hornbeck, J.W., Tritton, L.M., Martin, C.W., Pierce, R.S. and Smith, C.T.: 1989. Environmental Management, 13, 593.
- Hendershot W.H.: 1991. Fertilizer Research, 27, 63.
- Hendershot, W.H. and Jones, A.R.C.: 1989. Forestry Chronicle, 65, 280.
- Hendershot, W.H. and Duquette, M.: 1986. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 50, 605.
- Huettl, R.F.: 1990. Plant Soil, 128, 45.
- Huettl, R.F. and Wisniewski, J.: 1987. Water, Air, Soil Pollution, 33, 265.
- Joslin, J.D., Mueler, S.F. and Wolfe, M.H.: 1990. Atmospheric Environment, 24A, 3007.
- Kelly, J.M., Schaedle, M., Thornton, F.C. and Joslin, J.D.: 1990. Journal of Environmental Quality, 19, 172.
- LaZerte, B.D., Chun, C., Evans, D. and Tomassini, F.: 1988. Environmental Science and Technology, 22, 1106.
- McLaughlin, S.B., Andersen, C.P., Edwards, N.T., Roy, W.K., and Layton, P.A.: 1990. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 20, 485.
- Moore, T.R.: 1985. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 49, 1590.
- Paré, D. and Bernier, B.: 1989. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 19, 24.
- Raynal, D.J., Joslin, J.D., Thornton, F.C., Schaedle, M. and Henderson, G.S.: 1990. Journal of Environmental Quality, 19, 180.
- Schemenauer, R.S.: 1986. Atmosphere-Ocean, 24, 303.
- Schemenauer, R.S., Schuepp, P.H., Kermasha, S. and Cereceda, P.: 1988. Measurements of the properties of high elevation fog in Quebec, Canada. Pages 359–374 in M.H. Unsworth and D. Fowler (eds.), Acid Deposition at High Elevation Sites. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Schemenauer, R.S. and Winston, C.: 1988. The 1986 chemistry of high elevation fog project. Annual meeting of Air Pollution and Hazardous Waste Management Association. Dallas Texas, June 19–24, 1988.
- Sheldrick, B.H.: 1984. Analytical Methods Manual 1984. LRRI contribution no. 84-30, Research Branch, Agriculture Canada.
- Tamm, C.O. and Hallbacken, L.: 1988. Ambio 17, 56.
- van Breemen, N., Mulder, J. and Driscoll, C.T.: 1983. Plant and Soil, 75, 283.
- Vogelmann, H.W., Badger, G.J., Bliss, M. and Klein, R.M.: 1985. Bulletin of the Torrey Botany Club, 112, 274.
- Whittig, L.D. and Allardice, W.R.: 1986. X-ray diffraction techniques. Pages 331–362 in A. Klute, ed. Methods of soil analysis. Part 1, 2nd edition. Agronomy no 9. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wis.
- Wilkinson, L.: 1989. SYSTAT: The System For Statistics. Evanston, IL, USA. SYSTAT Inc.
- Soil acidification along a topographic gradient on Roundtop Mountain, Quebec, Canada
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 61, Issue 3-4 , pp 235-242
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Renewable Resources, McGill University, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, H9X 1CO, QC, Canada
- 2. Département de géographie, Université de Montréal, H3C 3J7, Montréal, QC, Canada
- 3. Cloud Physics Research Division, Atmospheric Environment Service, 4905 Dufferin Street, M3H 5T4, Downsview, ON, Canada