Quality of water from some wells in saudi arabia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The quality of water from 388 wells in 6 regions in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has been investigated with respect to pH, total dissolved salts (TDS), nitrite, ammonium, nitrate, and faecal coliforms. Concentration of TDS varied widely, from 180 to 9350 mg L−1, with a mean of 754 mg L−1. Of the 388 wells, 72 (18.6%) were above the WHO limit of 1000 mg L−1. The levels of nitrate varied significantly, ranging from 0.0 to 95.2 mg L−1, with an average value of 20.7 mg L−1. About 7.7% of the tested wells had nitrate content above the WHO limit of 45 mg L−1, and 16% of the wells showed NH4 + levels greater than 0.05 mg L−1. Faecal coliforms were present in 21.4% of the tested well waters. The results indicated that significant nutrient and faecal coliforms contaminated of well water was occurring.
- Abdul-Fattah, A. F., Husseiny, A. A., and Sabri, Z. A.: 1978, Desalination. 25, 9.
- Al-Ibrahim, A. A.: 1991, Ambio. 20, 34.
- APHA (American Public Health Association): 1985, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 16th ed. Washington, D.C.
- Csaki, F. and Endredi, I.: 1981, in W. Van Duijvenbooden, P. Glasbergen and H. Van Lelyveld (eds.), Quality of Groundwater, Vol. 17, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, The Netherlands, p. 89.
- Duyvenbooden, W. V. and Loch, J. P.: 1983, Aqua. 2, 59.
- El-Hinnawi, E. and Hashmi, M. H.: 1987, The State of the Environment, Butterworths, England, p. 44.
- EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency): 1977, Health effects of nitrates in water, EPA-600/1-77-030, Cincinnati, U.S.A.
- Forslund, J.: 1986, World Health Statistics Quarterly. 39, 81.
- HMSO (Her Majesty's Stationary Office): 1986, Nitrate in Water, Pollution paper No. 26, London.
- Ismail, A. M. A.: 1984, J. Arid Environ. 7, 101.
- Lakshmanan, A. R., Rao, T. K., and Viswanathan, S.: 1986, Indian J. Environ. Health 28, 39.
- Langenegger, O.: 1981, W. Van Duijvenbooden, P. Glasbergen and H. Van Lelyveld (eds.), Quality of groundwater, Vol. 17, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, The Netherlands, p. 135.
- Mallick. S. and Banerji, S.: 1981, in W. Van Duijvenbooden, P. Glasbergen and H. Van Lelyveld (eds.), Quality of Ground-water, Vol. 17, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, The Netherlands, p. 155.
- Mimouni, O. and Chibane, B.: 1989, Environ. Software 4, 136.
- NCR (National Research Council): 1986, Groundwater quality protection, National Academy press, Washington D. C.
- Raveendran, E. and Madany, I. M.: 1991, Sci. Total Environ. 103, 177.
- Tell, S. and Sara, Y.: 1989, State of the Environment in Jordan, Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs and the Environment, Jordan.
- White, R. J.: 1983, Aqua. 2, 51.
- WHO (World Health Organization): 1984, Guildelines for Drinking Water Quality, Vol. 2. Health criteria and other supporting information, Geneva.
- Yusop, M. K., Cleemput, O. V., and Baert, L.: 1984, Environ. Pollut. (Series B). 7, 43.
- Quality of water from some wells in saudi arabia
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 66, Issue 1-2 , pp 135-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dept. of Biological and chemical sciences, College of Applied Sciences, Arabian Gulf University, P.O. Box: 26671, Bahrain
- 2. Microbiological Laboratories, Central Laboratories for Environmental Health, Ministry of Municipalities and Rural Affairs, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- 3. Dept. of Microbiology, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia