Trends in wet and dry deposition of sulphur in the United Kingdom
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
UK data on sulphur deposition trends between the 1960's and 1990's are presented. Long term data sets of sulphur dioxide (SO2) concentrations at two sites have been analysed and dry deposition determined using a resistance model. Wet deposition has been calculated from non-marine sulphate concentration and rainfall fields for 1978–80 and 1989–93. These maps have been interpolated and corrected for seeder feeder enhancement. The wet deposition of sulphur declined by about 43 % between 1979 and 1993 whereas emissions of sulphur declined by about 32 %. An indication of the trends in sulphur dry deposition is provided by data from Eskdalemuir, a site in southern Scotland where wet deposition and SO2 concentration have been measured since 1979. Dry deposition at Eskdalemuir has decreased by 70 % and wet deposition by 48 %. Hence, while wet deposition has responded approximately linearly with the decline in UK emissions of sulphur dioxide, dry deposition has declined at twice the rate of decline in UK emissions.
- Campbell G.W., Stedman J.R., Downing C.E.H., Vincent K.J., Hasler S.E. and Davies M 1994. Acid Deposition in the United Kingdom: Data report 1993. AEA Technology: Culham Laboratory, AEA/CS/16419029/001.
- Digest of Environmental Statistics. Number 17 1995. HMSO 0171 873 9090. ISBN 0-11-752420-4.
- Downing C.E.H. and Campbell G.W. 1995 Rural sulphur dioxide concentrations in the United Kingdom: 1992. AEA Technology: Culham Laboratory, AEA/CS/18325068/01.
- Fowler D., Cape J.N., Leith I.D., Choularton T.W., Gay M. J. and Jones A. 1988, Atmospheric. Environment. 22, 1355–62
- Fowler D., Duyzer J.H. and Baldocchi D.D. 1991 Inputs of trace gases, particles and cloud droplets to terrestrial surfaces. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 97B, pp36–59.
- Fricke W. and Beilke 1992. Environmental Pollution. 75, 121–127.
- Monteith J.L. and Unsworth M.H. 1990 Principles of Environmental Physics 2nd edn.Edward Arnold, London. ISBN 0-7131-2931-X.
- RGAR1983. Acid deposition in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom Review Group on Acid Rain, Warren Spring Laboratory, Stevenage.
- Webster R., Campbell G.W. and Irwin J. G. 1991, Environmental. Monitoring and Assessment 16, 1–17
- Trends in wet and dry deposition of sulphur in the United Kingdom
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 85, Issue 2 , pp 659-664
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- United Kingdom
- sulphur deposition
- Industry Sectors