Ideas and processes in mathematics: A course on history and philosophy of mathematics
- Charalampos Toumasis
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper describes an attempt to develop a program for teaching history and philosophy of mathematics to inservice mathematics teachers. I argue briefly for the view that philosophical positions and epistemological accounts related to mathematics have a significant influence and a powerful impact on the way mathematics is taught. But since philosophy of mathematics without history of mathematics does not exist, both philosophy and history of mathematics are necessary components of programs for the training of preservice as well as inservice mathematics teachers.
- Davis, P.J. and Hersh, R.: 1981, The Mathematical Experience, Birhäuser, Boston.
- Christiansen, B., Howson, A.G., and Otte, M. (eds): 1986, Perspectives on Mathematics Education, D. Reidel Publ. Co.
- Davis, R.B.: 1967, Mathematics Teaching with Special Reference to Epistemological Problems, Athens University Press, Athens, GA
- Ernest, P.: 1991, The Philosophy of Mathematics Education, The Falmer Press, London.
- Eves, H.: 1964, An Introduction to History of Mathematics, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Eves, H. and Newsom, C.: 1965, An Introduction to the Foundations and Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Eves, H.: 1980, Great Moments in Mathematics (before 1650), Math. Association of America.
- Eves, H.: 1991, Great Moments in Mathematics (after 1650), Math. Association of America.
- Fauvel, J.: 1991, ‘Using History in Mathematics Education’, For the Learning of Mathematics 11, 2, 3–6.
- Heath, T.: 1991, A History of Greek Mathematics, 2 Vols, Dover Puplication, New York.
- Jones, P.: 1969, ‘The History of Mathematics as a Teaching Tool’, in N.C.T.M, Historical Topics for the Mathematics Classroom, 31th Yearbook.
- Keitel, C., Damerow, P., Bishop, A., and Gerdes, P. (eds.): 1989, Mathematics, Education, and Society, Unesco, Paris.
- Kline, M.: 1972, Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Kline, M.: 1980, Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Lakatos, I.: 1976, Proofs and Refutations, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Lakatos, I.: 1978, Mathematics, Science and Epistemology (Philosophical Papers, Vol. 12), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Lerman, S.: 1983, ‘Problem — Solving or Knowledge — Centred: The Influence of Philosophy on Mathematics Teaching’, International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology 14, 1, 59–66.
- Polya, G.: 1962, ‘The Teaching of Mathematics and the Biogenic Law’, in Good, I.J. (ed.), The Scientist Speculates, Heinemann, London, 352–56.
- Robitaille, D., and Dirks, M.: 1982, ‘Models for the Mathematics Curriculum’, For the Learning of Mathematics 2, 3, 3–21.
- Shevchenko, I.N.: 1975, ‘Elements of the Historical Approach in Teaching Mathematics’, Soviet Studies in Mathematical Education 12, 91–139.
- Steiner, H.G.: 1987, ‘Philosophical and Epistemological Aspects of Mathematics and their Interaction with Thoery and Practice in Mathematics Education’, For the Learning of Mathematics 7, 1, 7–13.
- Struik, D.J.: 1980, ‘Why Study the History of Mathematics?’, The Journal of Undergraduate Mathematics and its Applications (UMAP), 1, 3–28.
- Thom, R.: 1973, ‘Modern Mathematics: Does it Exist?’, in Howson, A.G. (ed.), Developments in Mathematics Education, Cambridge, pp. 194–209.
- Thompson, A.G.: 1984, ‘The Relationship of Teachers' Conceptions of Mathematics and Mathematics Teaching to Instructional Practice’, Educational Studies in Mathemathics 15, 105–127.
- Toumasis, C.: ‘Problems in Training Secondary Mathematics Teachers: The Greek Experience’, International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology (In press).
- Tymoczko, T. (ed.): 1986, New Directions in the Philosophy of Mathematics, Birkhäuser, Boston.
- Ideas and processes in mathematics: A course on history and philosophy of mathematics
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 12, Issue 2-4 , pp 245-256
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- history and philosophy of mathematics
- mathematics teaching
- training of inservice mathematics teachers
- images of mathematics
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Charalampos Toumasis, Maniakiou Str. 21-23, 262 23, Patras, Greece