Relentless writing and the death of memory in elementary education
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper explores the relentless character of writing in elementary education. We begin with the reflections of a Grade Three teacher on incidents in her classroom regarding writing and the leaving of traces, followed with a consideration of the deep cultural investment we have in leaving such traces. A brief examination of the latest work by Lucy Calkins is followed by a discussion of the paradoxical relations between writing, remembering and forgetting and the forging of community as an “order of memories.” The issue of writing as the rendering of experience into cultural capital is followed by concluding remarks on the pleasures of “walking around unwritten.”
- Atwell, N.: 1990, ‘Introduction’ to N. Atwell (ed.), Coming to Know: Writing to Learn in the Intermediate Grades, Irwin, Toronto.
- Berry, W.: 1983, Standing by Words, North Point Press, San Francisco.
- Calkins, L. with Harwayne, S.: 1991, Living between the Lines, Portsmouth, Heinemann Educational Books.
- Field, J.C.: 1991, ‘Educator's Perspectives on Assessment: Tensions, Dilemmas, Contradictions’, Unpublished doctoral disseration, Faculty of Education, University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia.
- Fulwiler, T.: 1987, The Journal Book, Boynton/Cook, Portsmouth.
- Gadamer, H.G.: 1989, Truth and Method, Crossroads Books, New York.
- Goodman, K., Bird, L., and Goodman, Y.: 1991, The Whole Language Catalog, MacMillan, New York.
- Jackson, G.: 1991, ‘The Pleasure of Forgetting Things’, Globe and Mail, Toronto, p. A20.
- Koestler, A.: 1959, The Sleepwalker, Penguin Books, New York.
- Plato (trans. 1956): Phaedrus. W.G. Helmbold and W.G. Rabinowitz, trans, The Liberal Arts Press, New York.
- Smith, D.: 1988, ‘On Being Critical About Language: The Critical Theory Tradition and its Implications for Language Education’, Reading-Canada-Lecture 6 (4), 232–247.
- Relentless writing and the death of memory in elementary education
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 12, Issue 2-4 , pp 127-137
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links