Ranked set sampling: an annotated bibliography
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The paper provides an up-to-date annotated bibliography of the literature on ranked set sampling. The bibliography includes all pertinent papers known to the authors, and is intended to cover applications as well as theoretical developments. The annotations are arranged in chronological order and are intended to be sufficiently complete and detailed that a reading from beginning to end would provide a statistically mature reader with a state-of-the-art survey of ranked set sampling, including historical development, current status, and future research directions and applications. A final section of the paper gives a listing of all annotated papers, arranged in alphabetical order by author.
- Bohn, L. L. and Wolfe, D. A. (1992) Nonparametric two-sample procedures for ranked-set samples data. Journal of the American Statistical Association 87, 552–61.
- Bohn, L. L and Wolfe, D. A. (1994) The effect of imperfect judgment ranking on properties of procedure based on the ranked set samples analog of the Mann-Whitney-Wilcoxon statistic. Journal of American Statistical Association 89, 168–76.
- Chen, S. H. (1983) Ranked set sampling theory with selective probability vector. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 8, 161–74.
- Cobby, J. M., Ridout, M. S., Bassett, P. J. and Large, R. V. (1985) An investigation into the use of ranked set sampling on grass and grass-clover swards. Grass and Forage Science 40, 257–63.
- Curll, M. L. (1980) The effects of grazing by set-stocked sheep on a perennial ryegrass/white clover pasture. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Reading, Reading, UK.
- David, H. A. (1981) Order Statistics, 2nd edn, Wiley, New York. pp. 181–3.
- David, H. A. and Levine, D. N. (1972) Ranked set sampling in the presence of judgment error. Biometrics 28, 553–5.
- Dell, T. R. (1969) The theory and some applications of ranked set sampling. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Statistics, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia.
- Dell, T. R. and Clutter, J. L. (1972) Ranked set sampling theory with order statistics background. Biometrics 28, 545–53.
- Evans, M. J. (1967) Application of ranked set sampling to regeneration surveys in areas direct-seeded to longleaf pine. Masters Thesis, School of Forestry and Wildlife Management, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Fei, H, Sinha, B.K. and Wu, Z (1994) Estimation of parameters in two-parameter Weibull and extreme-value distributions using ranked set sampling. Journal of Statistical Research 28, 149–61.
- Gilbert, R.O. (1995) Ranked set sampling. DQO Statistics Bulletin: Statistical Methods for Data Quality Objective Process, 1, 1, PNL-SA-26377, The Pacific Northwest Laboratory.
- Halls, L. K. and Dell, T. R. (1966) Trial of ranked set sampling for forage yields. Forest Science 12, 22–6.
- Johnson, G.D., Patil, G.P. and Sinha, A.K. (1993) Ranked set sampling for vegetation research. Abstracta Botanica 17, 87–102.
- Kvam, P. H. and Samaniego, F. J. (1993) On the inadmissibility of standard estimators based on ranked set sampling. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 36, 39–55.
- Kvam, P. H. and Samaniego, F. J. (1994) Nonparametric maximum likelihood estimation based on ranked set sampling. Journal of American Statistical Association 89, 526–537.
- Lam, K., Sinha, B.K. and Wu, Z (1994) Estimation of parameters in two-parameter Exponential distribution using ranked set sampling. Annals of Institute of Statistical Mathematics 46(4), 723–36.
- Martin, W. L., Sharik, T. L., Oderwald, R. G. and Smith, D. W. (1980) Evaluation of ranked set sampling for estimating shrub phytomass in Appalachian oak forests. Publication Number FWS-4-80, School of Forestry and Wildlife Resources, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia.
- McIntyre, G. A. (1952) A method for unbiased selective sampling, using ranked sets. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 3, 385–90.
- McIntyre, G. A. (1978) Statistical aspects of vegetation sampling. In Measurement of Grassland Vegetation and Animal Production, LA Mannetje (ed.) Bulletin 52, Commonwealth Bureau of Pastures and Field Crops, Hurley, Berkshire, UK. pp. 8–21.
- Muttlak, H. A. (1988) Some aspects of ranked set sampling with size biased probability of selection. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Statistics, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming.
- Muttlak, H. A. and McDonald L. L. (1990a) Ranked set sampling with respect to concomitant variables and with size biased probability of selection. Communications in Statistics — Theory and Methods A19, 205–19.
- Muttlak, H. A. and McDonald, L. L. (1990b) Ranked set sampling with size-biased probability of selection. Biometrics 46, 435–45.
- O'Connell, M. J. (1974) Theory and applications of concomitants of order statistics. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Statistics, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Patil, G. P. and Taillie, C. (1993) Environmental sampling, observational economy and statistical inference with emphasis on ranked set sampling, encounter sampling and composite sampling. Bulletin of International Statistical Institute (Proceedings of the 49th session) ISI, The Netherlands, 295–312.
- Patil, G. P., Sinha, A. K. and Taillie, C. (1993) Relative precision of ranked set sampling: A comparison with the regression estimator. Environmetrics 4(4), 399–412.
- Patil, G. P., Sinha, A. K. and Taillie, C. (1994a) Ranked set sampling. In Handbook of Statistics, G.P. Patil and C. R. Rao (eds.), North-Holland, New York. pp. 167–200.
- Patil, G. P., Sinha, A. K. and Taillie, C. (1994b) Ranked set sampling for multiple characteristics. International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences 20, 357–373.
- Ridout, M. S. and Cobby, J. M. (1987) Ranked set sampling with non-random selection of sets and errors in ranking. Applied Statistics 36, 145–52.
- Shirahata, S. (1982) An extension of the ranked set sampling theory. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 6, 65–72.
- Stokes, S. L. (1976) An investigation of the consequences of ranked set sampling. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Statistics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- Stokes, S. L. (1977) Ranked set sampling with concomitant variables. Communications in Statistics — Theory and Methods A6, 1207–11.
- Stokes, S. L. (1980a) Estimation of variance using judgment ordered ranked set samples. Biometrics 36, 35–42.
- Stokes, S. L. (1980b) Inferences on the correlation coefficient in bivariate normal populations from ranked set samples. Journal of the American Statistical Association 75, 989–95.
- Stokes, S. L. (1986) Ranked set sampling. In Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences, Volume 7, S. Kotz, N. L. Johnson and C. B. Read (eds.), Wiley, New York. pp. 585–88.
- Stokes, S. L. and Sager, T. (1988) Characterization of a ranked set sample with application to estimating distribution functions. Journal of the American Statistical Association 83, 374–81.
- Takahasi, K. (1969) On the estimation of the population mean based on ordered samples from an equicorrelated multivariate distribution. Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 21, 249–55.
- Takahasi, K. (1970) Practical note on estimation of population means based on samples stratified by means of ordering. Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 22, 421–8.
- Takahasi, K. and Futatsuya, M. (1988) Ranked set sampling from a finite population. Proceedings of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 36, 55–68. (In Japanese.)
- Takahasi, K. and Wakimoto, K. (1968) On unbiased estimates of the population mean based on the sample stratified by means of ordering. Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 20, 1–31.
- Yanagawa, T. and Chen, S.-H. (1980) The MG-procedure in rank set sampling. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 4, 33–44.
- Yanagawa, T. and Shirahata, S. (1976) Ranked set sampling theory with selective probability matrix. Australian Journal of Statistics 18, 45–52.
- Ranked set sampling: an annotated bibliography
Environmental and Ecological Statistics
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 25-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Concomitant variables
- cost-efficient sampling
- observational economy
- order statistics
- ranking errors
- ranking models
- relative precision
- simple random sampling
- sampling methods
- use of outside information in sampling