Induction of pyruvate decarboxylase in Candida utilis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Induction of cytoplasmic pyruvate decarboxylase (PDC) in Candida utilis increases with culture age throughout aerobic logarithmic phase growth on glucose and is due to oxygen depletion. Resting cells, grown on ethanol or acetate, fail to initiate PDC synthesis for two to three hours following anaerobic suspension in glucose although these cells are capable of glucose uptake. PDC induction occurs only at permissive growth temperatures, i.e., 5 ° C to 35 ° C. A preliminary characterization of the enzyme indicates an activity optimum of 35 ° C and a lack of any regulatory properties.
- Babif, T., Moss, F. J. & Ralph, B. J., 1969. Effects of oxygen and glucose levels on lipid composition of the yeast Candida utilis grown in continuous culture. Biotech. Bioeng. 11: 593–603.
- Brown, C. M. & Rose, A. H., 1969. Effects of temperature on composition and cell volume of Candida utilis. J. Bacteriol. 97: 261–272.
- Bulder, C. J. E. A., 1964. Induction of petite mutation and inhibition of synthesis of respiratory enzymes in various yeasts. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. J. Microbiol. Serol. 30: 1–9.
- Colowick, S. P. & Kaplan, N. O., (eds.), 1960. Methods in Enzymology. Vol. 5. New York: Academic Press, pp. 500–501.
- DeDeken, R. H., 1966. The Crabtree effect: A regulatory system in yeast. J. Gen. Microbiol. 44: 149–156.
- Grant, D. W., Sinclair, N. A. & Nash, C. H., 1968. Temperature-sensitive glucose fermentation in the obligately psychrophilic yeast, Candida gelida. Can. J. Microbiol. 8: 1105–1110.
- Holzer, E., Soling, H. C., Goedde, H. W. & Holzer, H., 1965. Thiamine pyrophosphate. In: Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. H. U. Bergmeyer (ed.). New York: Academic Press, p. 509.
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L. & Randall, R. J., 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193: 265–271.
- Maitra, P. K. & Lobo, Z., 1971. A kinetic study of glycolytic enzyme synthesis in yeast. J. Biol. Chem. 246: 475–488.
- Moss, F. J., Rickard, P. A. D., Beeck, G. A. & Bash, F. E., 1969. The response of microorganisms to steady-state in controlled concentrations of oxygen and glucose. I. Candida utilis. Biotech. Bioeng. 11: 561–580.
- Induction of pyruvate decarboxylase in Candida utilis
Volume 83, Issue 1 , pp 29-33
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors