Keratinophilic fungi isolated from children's sandpits in the Nablus area, West Bank of Jordan
- M. S. Ali-Shtayeh
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The keratinophilic fungi of 29 sandpits from kindergarten schools and public parks in the city of Nablus was analysed to evaluate their role in the epidemiology of diseases caused by these fungi. Seventy two species were recovered 28 of which were common to both kindergartens and public parks sandpits. High percentage (57.4%) of fungal isolates found had been identified as the causes of various types of mycoses. Eight species of dermatophytes and closely related fungi were recovered, of which the followings were the most commonly found species in sandpits: Chrysosporium keratinophilum (20.7%), Microsporum gypseum (17.2%), Trichophyton mentagrophytes (6.9%), and C. evolceanui (6.9%).
- Abdel-Fattah HM, Moubasher AH, Maghazy SM. Keratinolytic fungi in Egyptian soils. Mycopathologia 1982; 79:49–53.
- Ainsworth GC, Austwick PKC. Fungal diseases of animals. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Farnham Royal, Slough, England, 1973.
- Ali-Shtayeh MS, Arda HM. A study of tinea capitis in Jordan (West Bank). J Trop med hyg 1986; 89:137–141.
- Ali-Shtayeh MS, Asad Alsheikh BS. Keratinophilic fungi in the floor dust of Arab kindergarten schools in the West Bank of Jordan. Mycopathologia (in press).
- Atia M, Farid A, Zaki MM. The isolation of pathogenic fungi and actinomycetes from soil in Egypt. Sabouraudia 1981; 19:217–221.
- Bajwa PS, Jeffries CD. The keratinophilic fungi in soil from the Detroit Metropolitan area. Mykosen 1986; 29:267–271.
- Calvo A, Vidai M, Guarro J. Keratinophilic fungi from urban soils of Barcelona, Spain. Mycopathologia 1984; 85:145–147.
- Deshmukh SK, Agrawal SC. Prevalence of dermatophytes and other keratinophilic fungi in soils of Madhya Pradesh (India). Mykosen 1983; 26:574–577.
- Dominik T, Ihnatowicz A, Kopylow H, Mietkiewski R. Mycoflora of sand-boxes in kindergardens in Szczecin. Ekol pol 1973; 21:901–923.
- Feuerman E, Alteras T, Honig E, Lehrer N. The isolation of keratinophilic fungi from soils in Israel. A preliminary report. Mycopathologia 1975; 56:41–46.
- Filipello Marchisio V. Keratinolytic and keratinophilic fungi in children's sandpits in the city of Turin. Mycopathologia 1986; 94:163–172.
- Filipello Marchisio V, Luppi Mosca AM. Mycological analysis of the sands of a box for children's play. Mycopathologia 1982; 80:43–54.
- Hall NK, Larsh HW. Epidemiology of the mycoses. In: Howard DH ed. Fungi pathogenic for humans and animals (in three parts); Part B: Pathogenicity and Detection. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc, 1985; 3:195–228.
- McAleer R. Investigation of keratinophilic fungi from soils in Western Australia. Mycopathologia 1980; 72:155–165.
- Mangiarotti AM, Caretta G. Keratinophilic fungi isolated from a small pool. Mycopathologia 1984; 85:9–11.
- Mercantini R, Marsella R, Lambiase L, Fulvi F. Isolation of keratinophilic fungi from floors in Roman primary schools. Mycopathologia 1983; 82:115–120.
- Muhammed SI, Lalji N. The distribution of geophilic dermatophytes in Kenyan soils. Mycopathologia 1978; 63:95–97.
- Orr GF. Keratinophilic fungi isolated from soils by a modified hair bait technique. Sabourandia 1969; 7:129–134.
- Rippon JW. Medical mycology: The pathogenic fungi and the pathogenic actinomycetes. Philadelphia: WB Saunders company, 1982.
- Shtayeh MSA, Arda HM. Incidence of dermatophytosis in Jordan with special reference to tinea capites. Mycopatholo gia 1985; 92:59–62.
- Sundaram BM. Incidence of keratinophilic fungi in rice-field soils. Mycopathologia 1987; 17:43–44.
- Keratinophilic fungi isolated from children's sandpits in the Nablus area, West Bank of Jordan
Volume 103, Issue 3 , pp 141-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- keratinophilic fungi
- pathogenic fungi
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biological Sciences, The University, P.O.B. 696, Nablus, Via Israel