Efficacy of brain heart infusion-egg albumen agar, yeast extract phosphate agar and peptone glucose agar media for isolation of Blastomyces dermatitidis from sputum
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The efficacy of brain heart infusion (BHI)-egg albumen agar, yeast extract phosphate agar and several modified peptone glucose agar media was evaluated for isolation of Blastomyces dermatitidis from sputum concomitantly seeded with the yeast form of the pathogen and Candida albicans. Based upon high per cent culture positivity of sputum, improved recovery (CFU/ml) of the seeded inoculum, faster growth rate of B. dermatitidis and low level of contamination, BHI-egg albumen agar, followed by yeast extract phosphate agar are recommended as the media of choice for the isolation of B. dermatitidis from contaminated clinical specimens.
- Burns J, Larsh HW. Selective isolation of Histoplasma capsulatum in the presence of Candida spp. Bact Proc 1962; 66.
- Conant NF, Smith DT, Baker RD, Callaway JL. Manual of Clinical Mycology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company, 1971; 84–133.
- Emmons CW, Binford, CH, Utz JP, Kwon-Chung KJ. Medical Mycology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1977; 357–9.
- Fischer JB, Kane J. The laboratory diagnosis of dermatophytosis complicated with Candida albicans. Can J Microbiol, 1974; 20: 167–82.
- Haley LD, Callaway CS. Laboratory methods in medical mycology. Atlanta, U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, 1978; 87: 187–90.
- Jambhekar NA, Shrikhande SS, Advani, SH, Rao RS. Disseminated blastomycosis — a case report. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1988; 31: 330–3.
- Kane J, Blakeman JM, Fisher JB. Tinea cruris: diagnostic confusion due to isolation of Candida albicans alone. Can Med Assoc J 1976; 114: 797–8.
- Kane J, Righter J, Krajdan S, Lester RS. Blastomycosis: a new endemic focus in Canada. Can Med Assoc J 1983; 129: 728–31.
- Kapica L, Shaw CE, Barlett GW. Inhibition of Histoplasma capsulatum by Candida albicans and other yeasts on Sabouraud's glucose agar media. J Bacteriol 1968; 95: 2171–6.
- Littman ML, Miwatani T. Effect of water soluble vitamins and their analogues on the growth of Candida albicans 1. Biotin, pyridoxamine, pyridoxine and fluorinated pyrimidines. Mycopathol Mycol Appl 1963; 21: 81–108.
- McGinnis MR. Laboratory handbook of medical mycology. New York, Academic Pres 1980; 585.
- Randhawa HS, Khan ZU, Gaur SN. Blastomyces dermatitidis in India: First report of its isolation from clinical material. Sabouraudia 1983; 21: 215–21.
- Rippon JW. Medical Mycology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Company 1982; 451–2.
- Smith LD, Goodman NL. Improved culture method for the isolation of Histoplasma capsulatum and Blastomyces dermatitidis from contamincated specimens. Am J Clin Pathol 1975; 63: 276–80.
- Efficacy of brain heart infusion-egg albumen agar, yeast extract phosphate agar and peptone glucose agar media for isolation of Blastomyces dermatitidis from sputum
Volume 112, Issue 2 , pp 105-112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Blastomyces dermatitidis
- culture media
- Industry Sectors