Study protocol for the World Health Organization project to develop a Quality of Life assessment instrument (WHOQOL)
- … show all 0 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has undertaken a project to develop an instrument (the WHOQOL) for measuring quality of life. Quality of life is defined as an individual's perception of their position in life in the context of the culture and value systems in which they live and in relation to their goals, expectations, standards and concerns. It is a broad ranging concept affected in a complex way by the person's physical health, psychological state, level of independence, social relationships, and their relationship to salient features of their environment.
The instrument will be developed in the framework of a collaborative project involving numerous centres in different cultural settings. In addition, it will have proven psychometric properties of validity, responsiveness and reliability and will be sensitive to the cultural setting in which it is applied, whilst maintaining comparability of scores across different cultural settings.
This paper outlines the characteristics of the planned instrument and the study protocol governing work on its development. To date steps 1 through 5 have been completed and work is progressing on step 6. It is anticipated that the instrument will be available for piloting in July 1993 and a final version available for use in June 1994.
- Sartorius, N. Cross-cultural and internationa collaboration in mental health research and action: experience from the mental health programme of the World Health Organization. In: Janson R, Perris C. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1988; 78 (Suppl 344): 71–74.
- World Health Organization. WHO meeting on the assessment of quality of life in health care. Geneva: WHO (MNH/PSF/91.4), 1991.
- World Health Organization. Meeting on quality of life. Geneva: WHO (MNH/PSF/92.2), 1992.
- World Health Organization. Report of the meeting of investigators on quality of life. Geneva: WHO (MNH/PSF/92.6), 1992.
- World Health Organization. WHOOOL focus group moderator training. Geneva: WHO (MNH/PSF/92.9), 1992.
- World Health Organization. Agreement for publications resulting from multi-centre collaborative studies. Geneva: WHO (MNH/93.1), 1993.
- Study protocol for the World Health Organization project to develop a Quality of Life assessment instrument (WHOQOL)
Quality of Life Research
Volume 2, Issue 2 , pp 153-159
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links