Systemic candidiasis in mice treated with prednisolone and amphotericin B. 2. Ultrastructure and evidence for fungal toxin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The principal ultrastructural changes in cells of Candida albicans treated with amphotericin B (AmB), either in vitro or in vivo, and in the presence or absence of prednisolone included plasmolysis, vacuolation and destruction of organelles. Lamination of the cell wall, although discernible after 4 h antibiotic treatment in vitro, was conspicuous in vivo, especially in prednisolone-treated mice given AmB 72 h after inoculation and was seen in both phagocytosed cells and those free in inflammatory exudates. Somatic extracts from control cells and somatic extracts and leachates from AmB-treated cells showed the presence of low-grade toxic components when given i.p. to mice receiving actinomycin D(AMD) s.c. Culture filtrates were negative. Eighteen hour cultures were more toxic than those grown for 3 days and no toxicity was shown for cultures after 8 or 14 days. The behaviour of toxic materials during electrophoresis in polyacrylamide gels suggested that they were proteins of relatively high molecular weight.
- Bakerspigel, A. 1964. Some observations on the cytology of Candida albicans. J. Bact. 87: 228–230.
- Blyth, W. & Stewart, Gwendoline E. 1978. Systemic candidiasis in mice treated with prednisolone and amphotericin B. 1. Morbidity, mortality and inflammatory reaction. Mycophathologia.
- Chattaway, F.W., Odds, F.C. & Barlow, A.J.E. 1971. An examination of the production of hydrolytic enzymes and toxins by pathogenic strains of Candida albicans. J. gen. Microbiol. 67: 255–263.
- Denning, T.J.Y. & Davies, R.R. 1973. Candida albicans and the chemotaxis of polymorphonuclear neutrophils. Sabouraudia 11: 210–221.
- Gale, E.F., Johnson, Alison M., Kerridge, D. & Koh, T.Y. 1975. Factors affecting the changes in amphotericin sensitivity of Candida albicans during growth. J. gen. Microbiol. 87: 20–36.
- Gale, G.R. 1963. Cytology of Candida albicans as influenced by drugs acting on the cytoplasmic membrane. J.Bact. 86: 151–157.
- Hammond, S.M. & Kliger, B.N. 1974. Studies on the role of the cell wall of Candida albicans in the mode of action of polyene antibiotics. Proc. Soc. Gen. Microbiol. 1: 45.
- Isenberg, H.D., Allerhand, J. & Berkman, J. 1963. An endotoxin-like fraction extracted from the cells of Candida albicans. Nature, London. 197: 516–517.
- Iwata, K. & Uchida, K. 1967. ‘Canditoxin’ 2. Isolation and purification of the toxic substance. Medicine and Biology (Tokyo) 74: 351–356.
- Iwata, K., Uchida, K., Yamaguchi, H. & Nozu, Y. 1972. Studies on the toxins produced by Candida albicans with special reference to their etiopathological role. ‘Yeasts and Yeast-like Microorganisms in Medical Science’, (ed. Iwata, K.) pp. 184–190. University of Tokyo Press.
- Kobayshi, G.S. & Friedman, L. 1964. Characterization of the pyrogenicity of Candida albicans, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Cryptococcus neoformans. J. Bact. 88: 660–666.
- Lampen, J.O. 1966. Interference by polyenic fungal antibiotics (especially nystatin and filipin) with specific membrane functions. Symp. Soc. gen. Microbiol. 16: 111–130.
- Montes, L.F., Patrick, T.A., Martin, S.A. & Smith, M. 1965. Ultrastructure of blastospores of Candida albicans after permanganate fixation. J. invest. Derm. 45: 227–232.
- Montes, L.F. & Wilborn, W.H. 1968. Ultrastructural features of hostparasite relationship in oral candidiasis. J. Bact. 96: 1349–1356.
- Mourad, S. & Friedman, L. 1961. Pathogenicity of Candida. J. Bact. 81: 550–556.
- Müller, J., Douchet, C. & Sukuma, S. 1972. Electron microscopic studies on the host-parasite relationship of the experimental Candida albicans infection of the mouse: the Candida granuloma in the kidney. ‘Yeasts and Yeast-like Microorganisms in Medical Science’, (ed. Iwata, K.) pp. 178–183. University of Tokyo Press.
- Partridge, Betty M. & Drew, J. Anne. 1974. Candida protoplasts and their ultrastructure. Sabouraudia 12: 166–178.
- Pieroni, R.E. & Levine, L. 1970. Use of actinomycin D for quantitation of endotoxins in Pertussis vaccine and extracts. Symp. Series Immunobiol. Standard. 13: 198–202.
- Polak, A. & Scholer, H.. 1976. Combination of amphotericin B and 5-fluorocytosine. Chemotherapy 6: 137–142.
- Salvin, S.B. 1952. Endotoxin in pathogenic fungi. J. J. Immun. 69: 89–99.
- Winner, H.I. 1956. Immunity in experimental moniliasis. J. Path. Bact. 71: 234–237.
- Systemic candidiasis in mice treated with prednisolone and amphotericin B. 2. Ultrastructure and evidence for fungal toxin
Volume 66, Issue 1-2 , pp 51-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors