Systemic candidiasis in mice treated with prednisolone and amphotericin B. 2. Ultrastructure and evidence for fungal toxin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The principal ultrastructural changes in cells of Candida albicans treated with amphotericin B (AmB), either in vitro or in vivo, and in the presence or absence of prednisolone included plasmolysis, vacuolation and destruction of organelles. Lamination of the cell wall, although discernible after 4 h antibiotic treatment in vitro, was conspicuous in vivo, especially in prednisolone-treated mice given AmB 72 h after inoculation and was seen in both phagocytosed cells and those free in inflammatory exudates. Somatic extracts from control cells and somatic extracts and leachates from AmB-treated cells showed the presence of low-grade toxic components when given i.p. to mice receiving actinomycin D(AMD) s.c. Culture filtrates were negative. Eighteen hour cultures were more toxic than those grown for 3 days and no toxicity was shown for cultures after 8 or 14 days. The behaviour of toxic materials during electrophoresis in polyacrylamide gels suggested that they were proteins of relatively high molecular weight.
- Bakerspigel, A. (1964) Some observations on the cytology of Candida albicans. J. Bact. 87: pp. 228-230
- Blyth, W. & Stewart, Gwendoline E. 1978. Systemic candidiasis in mice treated with prednisolone and amphotericin B. 1. Morbidity, mortality and inflammatory reaction. Mycophathologia.
- Chattaway, F.W., Odds, F.C., Barlow, A.J.E. (1971) An examination of the production of hydrolytic enzymes and toxins by pathogenic strains of Candida albicans. J. gen. Microbiol. 67: pp. 255-263
- Denning, T.J.Y., Davies, R.R. (1973) Candida albicans and the chemotaxis of polymorphonuclear neutrophils. Sabouraudia 11: pp. 210-221
- Gale, E.F., Johnson, Alison M., Kerridge, D., Koh, T.Y. (1975) Factors affecting the changes in amphotericin sensitivity of Candida albicans during growth. J. gen. Microbiol. 87: pp. 20-36
- Gale, G.R. (1963) Cytology of Candida albicans as influenced by drugs acting on the cytoplasmic membrane. J.Bact. 86: pp. 151-157
- Hammond, S.M., Kliger, B.N. (1974) Studies on the role of the cell wall of Candida albicans in the mode of action of polyene antibiotics. Proc. Soc. Gen. Microbiol. 1: pp. 45
- Isenberg, H.D., Allerhand, J., Berkman, J. (1963) An endotoxin-like fraction extracted from the cells of Candida albicans. Nature, London 197: pp. 516-517
- Iwata, K., Uchida, K. (1967) ‘Canditoxin’ 2. Isolation and purification of the toxic substance. Medicine and Biology (Tokyo) 74: pp. 351-356
- Iwata, K., Uchida, K., Yamaguchi, H. & Nozu, Y. 1972. Studies on the toxins produced by Candida albicans with special reference to their etiopathological role. ‘Yeasts and Yeast-like Microorganisms in Medical Science’, (ed. Iwata, K.) pp. 184–190. University of Tokyo Press.
- Kobayshi, G.S., Friedman, L. (1964) Characterization of the pyrogenicity of Candida albicans, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Cryptococcus neoformans. J. Bact. 88: pp. 660-666
- Lampen, J.O. (1966) Interference by polyenic fungal antibiotics (especially nystatin and filipin) with specific membrane functions. Symp. Soc. gen. Microbiol. 16: pp. 111-130
- Montes, L.F., Patrick, T.A., Martin, S.A., Smith, M. (1965) Ultrastructure of blastospores of Candida albicans after permanganate fixation. J. invest. Derm. 45: pp. 227-232
- Montes, L.F., Wilborn, W.H. (1968) Ultrastructural features of hostparasite relationship in oral candidiasis. J. Bact. 96: pp. 1349-1356
- Mourad, S., Friedman, L. (1961) Pathogenicity of Candida. J. Bact. 81: pp. 550-556
- Müller, J., Douchet, C. & Sukuma, S. 1972. Electron microscopic studies on the host-parasite relationship of the experimental Candida albicans infection of the mouse: the Candida granuloma in the kidney. ‘Yeasts and Yeast-like Microorganisms in Medical Science’, (ed. Iwata, K.) pp. 178–183. University of Tokyo Press.
- Partridge, Betty M., Drew, J. Anne (1974) Candida protoplasts and their ultrastructure. Sabouraudia 12: pp. 166-178
- Pieroni, R.E., Levine, L. (1970) Use of actinomycin D for quantitation of endotoxins in Pertussis vaccine and extracts. Symp. Series Immunobiol. Standard. 13: pp. 198-202
- Polak, A., Scholer, H. (1976) Combination of amphotericin B and 5-fluorocytosine. Chemotherapy 6: pp. 137-142
- Salvin, S.B. (1952) Endotoxin in pathogenic fungi. J. J. Immun. 69: pp. 89-99
- Winner, H.I. (1956) Immunity in experimental moniliasis. J. Path. Bact. 71: pp. 234-237
- Systemic candidiasis in mice treated with prednisolone and amphotericin B. 2. Ultrastructure and evidence for fungal toxin
Volume 66, Issue 1-2 , pp 51-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors