Structure and plugging of septa of wild type and spreading colonial mutants of Neurospora crassa
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The structure and plugging of septa of several Neurospora crassa strains were studied.
Septa were occluded by an electron dense plug. Woronin bodies were never observed.
Nearly all the septa found within the peripheral 0.5 to 1.0 mm of colonies of spco 12 were plugged but plugged septa were never observed in cot 3 and only rarely in spco 4, even 11 mm from the colony's circumference.
Lines of vesicles were observed in the cytoplasm and traversing the septal pores of spco 1 hyphae. The mean diameter of these vesicles and the vesicles found at the hyphal tip were identical.
- Bourne, M. Frontispiece. In: Burnett, J. H. eds. (1968) Fundamentals of mycology. Edward Arnold, London
- Bracker, C. E. (1967) Ultrastructure of fungi. Ann. Rev. Phytopath. 5: pp. 343-374
- Brenner, D. M., Carroll, G. C. (1968) Fine structure correlates of growth in hyphae of Ascodesmis sphaerospora. J. Bact. 95: pp. 658-671
- Reichle, R. E., Alexander, J. V. (1965) Multiperforate septations, Woronin bodies and septal plugs in Fusarium. J. Cell. Biol. 24: pp. 489-496
- Reynolds, E. S. (1963) The use of lead citrate at high pH as an electron opaque stain in electron microscopy. J. biophys. biochem. Cytol. 17: pp. 208-212
- Shatkin, A. J., Tatum, E. L. (1959) Electron microscopy of Neurospora crassa mycelia. J. biophys. biochem. Cytol. 6: pp. 423-426
- Spurr, A. R. (1969) A low-viscosity epoxy resin embedding medium for electron microscopy. J. Ultrastruct. Res. 26: pp. 31-43
- Trinci, A. P. J. (1973) Growth of wild type and spreading colonial mutants of Neurospora crassa in batch culture and on agar medium. Arch. Mikrobiol. 91: pp. 113-126
- Trinci, A. P. J. (1973) The hyphal growth unit of wild type and spreading colonial mutants of Neurospora crassa. Arch. Mikrobiol 91: pp. 127-136
- Vogel, H. J. (1956) A convenient medium for Neurospora (medium N). Microbiol. Genet. Bull. 13: pp. 42
- Structure and plugging of septa of wild type and spreading colonial mutants of Neurospora crassa
Archiv für Mikrobiologie
Volume 91, Issue 4 , pp 355-364
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors