Drug resistance in Salmonellae isolated at Chandigarh (India) during 1972–1978
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A total of 1316 strains of Salmonella belonging to 20 serotypes isolated at P.G.I. Chandigarh (India) were tested for drug resistance. Drug resistance was noticed in 494 (38.3%) of the strains; 194 (14.8%) of these strains were resistant to one drug, while 300 (23.5%) had multiple drug resistance. All isolated strains were sensitive to gentamicin, furazolidone and nalidixic acid.
Resistance to streptomycin was observed in 233 (17.7%), chloramphenicol 197 (14,9%), tetracycline 293 (22.3%), ampicillin 428 (32.5%), kanamycin 206 (15.7%), neomycin 206 (15.7%) and sulphadiazine 215 (19.9%).
Multiple drug resistance was most common in S. bareilly, S. typhimurium and S. anatum serotypes. Increase in incidence of drug resistance in Salmonellae has been noticed during 1972–1978.
- Agarwal, K. C. 1974. Antibiotic sensitivity test by dise diffusion method: standardization and interpretation. — Indian J. Pathol. Bacteriol. 17: 149–159.
- Edwards, P. R. and Ewing, W. H. 1972. p. 146. In: Identification of Enterobacteriaceae. 3rd Ed. —Burgess, Minneapolis, MN.
- Gill, F. A. and Hook, E. W. 1966. Salmonella strains with transferable drug resistance. — J. Am. Med. Assoc. 198: 1267–1269.
- Grant, R. B. and Di Mambro, L. 1977. Antimicrobial resistance and resistance plasmids in Salmonella from Ontario, Canada. — Can. J. Microbiol. 23: 1266–1273.
- Hueg, C. R. and Edwards, P. R. 1958. Resistance of Salmonella typhimurium to tetracycline. —Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 97: 550–551.
- Neu, H. C., Winshell, E. B., Winter, J. and Cherubin, C. E. 1971. Antibiotic resistance of Salmonella in northern USA 1968–1969. — N.Y. State J. Med. 11: 1196–1200.
- Schroeder, S. A., Terry, P. M. and Bennett, J. V. 1968. Antibiotic resistance and transfer factor in Salmonella. — J. Am. Med. Assoc. 205: 903–906.
- Sharma, K. B. and Bhatia, S. L. 1966. Chloramphenicol resistance of S. typhi and para A isolated during 1962–1965. — Indian J. Med. Res. 54: 819–822.
- Sharma, K. B. 1977. Transferable drug resistance. — Ann. Nat. Acad. Sci. (India) 13: 1–3.
- Smith, H. W. 1970. Incidence of transferable antibiotic resistance among Salmonellae in England and Wales. — J. Med. Microbiol. 3: 181–182.
- Surdeanu, M., Loranesceu, S. and Szegli, L. 1974. The incidence of transferable resistance to antibiotics in Salmonella strains isolated in Rumania. — Arch. Roum. Pathol. Exp. Microbiol. 33: 27–29.
- Tanaka, T., Ikemura, K. and Tsunoda, M. 1976. Drug resistance and distribution of R-factor in Salmonella strains. — Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 9: 61–68.
- Voogd, C. E., Van Leeuwen, W. J., Guinee, P. A. M., Manten, A. and Valkenburg, J. J. 1977. Incidence of resistance to ampicillin, chloramphenicol, kanamycin and tetracycline among Salmonella species isolated in the Netherlands in 1972, 1973 and 1974. — Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 43: 269–281.
- Drug resistance in Salmonellae isolated at Chandigarh (India) during 1972–1978
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek
Volume 46, Issue 4 , pp 383-390
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors