Is the income elasticity of environmental improvements less than one?
- Bengt KristromAffiliated withDepartment of Forest Economics, SLU
- , Pere RieraAffiliated withUniversitat Autonoma de Barcelona
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We estimated the income elasticity of environmental improvements for a number of European data-sets. The value of this parameter is consistently found to be less than one, with few exceptions. Our findings are compared with state-of-the-art contingent valuation studies from other countries. We also compared our findings with those reported in the literature on charitable donations and corporate donations. These studies show a similar pattern; donations decrease as a percentage of income, as income increases.
Key wordsDistributional issues environmental elitism income elasticity valuation
- Is the income elasticity of environmental improvements less than one?
Environmental and Resource Economics
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 45-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Distributional issues
- environmental elitism
- income elasticity
- Industry Sectors