Contaminant exposure of willets feeding in agricultural drainages of the Lower Rio Grande Valley of South Texas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Willets (Catoptrophorus semipalmatus) were collected in June and August 1986 at the outlets of two agricultural drainages into the Lower Laguna Madre of South Texas and at two other Texas coastal sites. Mean liver concentration of arsenic was higher in August than June. Over 20% of the livers had arsenic concentrations elevated above a suggested background level of 5.0 ppm dry weight (DW), but concentrations (maximum 15 ppm) were below those associated with acute toxicity. Selenium concentration in livers varied from 2.3 to 8.3 ppm DW for all locations and represented background levels. Mercury concentrations in livers for all locations (means = 2.0 to 3.4, maximum 17 ppm DW) were below those associated with avian mortality and similar to levels found in other estuarine/marine birds. DDE in carcasses was higher in adults (mean = 1.0 ppm wet weight) than juveniles (0.2 ppm), and higher in August (1.0 ppm) than June (0.5 ppm); however, DDE concentrations were generally at background levels. Based on brain cholinesterase activity, willets were not recently exposed to organophosphate pesticides.
- Adams, J. W. and Prince, N. N.: 1976, ‘Mercury Levels in the Tissues of Ring-necked Pheasants Fed Two Mercurial Fungicides’, Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 15, 316–323.
- Adrian, W. J. and Stevens, M. L.: 1979, ‘Wet Versus Dry Weights for Heavy Metal Toxicity Determinations in Duck Liver, J. Wildl. Dis. 15, 125–126.
- Baker, F. C. and Parker, A. J.: 1969, ‘Accidental Arsenic Poisoning in the Broiler Chicken’, Vet. Record. 85, 632.
- Blus, L. J., Burkett, Jr., S. N., Lamont, T. G., and Mulhem, B.: 1977, ‘Residues of Organochlorines and Heavy Metals in Tissues and Eggs of Brown Pelicans, 1969–73’, Pestic. Monit. J. 11, 40–53.
- Borg, K., Wanntorp, H., Erne, K., and Hanko, E.: 1969, ‘Alkyl Mercury Poisoning in Terrestrial Swedish Wildlife’, Viltrevy. 6, 301–379.
- Cromartie, E., Reichel, W. L., Locke, L. N., Belisle, A. A., Kaiser, T. E., Lamont, T. G., Mulhern, B. M., Prouty, R. M., and Swineford, D. M.: 1975, ‘Residues of Organochlorine Pesticides and Polychlorinated Biphenyls and Autopsy Data for Bald Eagles, 1971–72’, Pestic. Monit. J. 9, 11–14.
- Custer, T. W. and Mitchell, C. A.: 1987a, ‘Organochlorine Contaminants and Reproductive Success of Black Skimmers in South Texas’, J. Field Ornithol. 58, 480–489.
- Custer, T. W. and Mitchell, C. A.: 1987b, ‘Exposure of Brushland Wildlife to Insecticides within the Lower Rio Grande Valley, Texas’, Environ. Pollut. 45, 207–220.
- Dick, M.: 1982, ‘Pesticide and PCB Concentrations in Texas-Water, Sediment, and Fish Tissue’, Texas Depart. Water Res. Report 264.
- Eisler, R.: 1987, ‘Mercury Hazards to Fish, Wildlife, and Invertebrates: A Synoptic Review’, U.S. Fish Wildl. Serv. Biol. Rep. 85 (1.10), 90 pp.
- Eisler, R.: 1988, ‘Arsenic Hazards to Fish, Wildlife, and Invertebrates: A Synoptic Review’, U.S. Fish Wildl. Serv. Biol. Rep. 85 (1.12), 92 pp.
- Ellman, G. L., Courtney, K. D., Andres, Jr., V., and Featherstone, M. R.: 1961, ‘A New and Rapid Colorimetric Determination of Acetylcholinesterase Activity’, Biochem. Pharmacol. 7, 88–98.
- Fimreite, N.: 1971, ‘Effects of Dietary Methylmercury on Ring-necked Pheasants’, Can. Wildl. Serv. Occas. Pap. 9, 39 pp.
- Fimreite, N. and Karstad, L.: 1971, ‘Effects of Dietary Methyl Mercury on Red-tailed Hawks’, J. Wildl. Manage. 35, 293–300.
- Finley, M. T., Stickel, W. H., and Christensen, R. E. 1979, ‘Mercury Residues in Tissues of Dead and Surviving Birds Fed Methylmercury’, Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 21, 105–110.
- Fleming, W. J., Clark, Jr., D. R., and Henny, C. J.: 1983, Organochlorine Pesticides and PCB's: A Continuing Problem for the 1980s’, Trans. North Am. Wildl. Natur. Resour. Conf. 48, 186–199.
- Haegele, M. A. and Hudson, R. H.: 1974, ‘Eggshell Thinning and Residues in Mallards One Year After DDE Exposure’, Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 2, 356–363.
- Haseltine, S. D., Heinz, G. H., Reichel, W. L., and Moore, J. F.: 1981, ‘Organochlorine and Metal Residues of Waterfowl Nesting on Islands in Lake Michigan off Door County, Wisconsin, 1977–78’, Pestic. Monit. J. 15, 90–97.
- Heinz, G. H.: 1979, ‘Methylmercury: Reproductive and Behavioral Effects on Three Generations of Mallard Ducks’, J. Wildl. Manage. 43, 394–401.
- Hill, E. F. and Fleming, W. J.: 1982, ‘Anticholinesterase Poisoning of Birds: Field Monitoring and Diagnosis of Acute Poisoning’, Environm. Toxicol. Chem. 1, 27–38.
- Jahrsdoerfer, S. E., and Leslie, Jr., D. M.: 1988, ‘Tamaulipan Brushland of the Lower Rio Grande Valley of South Texas: Description, Human Impacts, and Managements Options’, U.S. Fish Wildl. Serv. Biol. Rep. 88 (36), 63 pp.
- Kaiser, T. E., Reichel, W. L., Locke, L. N., Cromartie, E., Krynitsky, A. J., Lamont, T. G., Mulhern, B. M., Prouty, R. M., Stafford, C. J., and Swineford, D. M.: 1980, ‘Organochlorine Pesticide, PCB, and PBB Residues and Necropsy Data for Bald Eagles from 29 States — 1975–77’, Pestic. Monit. J. 13, 145–149.
- King, K. A. and Cromartie, E.: 1986, ‘Mercury, Cadmium, Lead, and Selenium in Three Waterbird Species Nesting in Galveston Bay, Texas, USA’, Colonial Waterbirds. 9, 90–94.
- Koeman, J. H., Garssen-Hoekstra, J., Pels, E., and de Goeij, J. J. M.: 1971, ‘Poisoning of Birds of Prey by Methyl Mercury Compounds’, Med. Rijks. Landb. Gent. 36, 43–49.
- Krynitsky, A. J.: 1987, ‘Preparation of Biological Tissues for Determination of Arsenic and Selenium by Graphite Furnace Atomic Absorption Spectrometry’, Anal. Chem. 59, 1884–1886.
- Longcore, J. R. and Stendell, R. C.: 1977, ‘Shell Thinning and Reproductive Impairment in Black Ducks After Cessation of DDE Dosage’, Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 6, 293–304.
- Mitchell, C. A. and White, D. H.: 1982, ‘Seasonal Brain Acetylcholinesterase Activity in Three Species of Shorebirds Overwintering in Texas’, Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 29, 360–365.
- NAS.: 1977, ‘Arsenic’, Natl. Acad. Sci. Washington, D.C. 332 pp.
- Nicholson, J. K. and Osborn, D.: 1984, ‘Kidney Lesions in Juvenile Starlings Sturnus vulgaris Fed on a Mercury-Contaminated Synthetic Diet’, Environ. Pollut. 33, 195–206.
- Ohlendorf, H. M., Lowe, R. W., Kelley, P. R., and Harvey, T. E.: 1986, ‘Selenium and Heavy Metals in San Francisco Bay Diving Ducks’, J. Wildl. Manage. 50, 64–71.
- Ohlendorf, H. M.: 1989, ‘Bioaccumulation and Effects of Selenium in Wildlife’, Pages 133–177 in L. W. Jacobs (ed.), Selenium in Agriculture and the Environment, Spec. Publ. 23. Soil Sci. Soc. Amer. Madison, Wisconsin.
- Parslow, J. L. F., Jefferis, D. J., and Hanson, H. M.: 1973, ‘Gannet Mortality Incidents in 1972’, Mar. Pollut. Bull. 4, 41–43.
- Van Der Molen, E. J., Blok, A. A., and De Graaf, G. J.: 1982, ‘Winter Starvation and Mercury Intoxication in Grey Herons (Ardea cinera) in the Netherlands’, Ardea 70, 173–184.
- Wells, F. C., Jackson, G. A. and Rogers, W. J.: 1988, ‘Reconnaissance Investigation of Water-Quality, Bottom Sediment, and Biota Associated with Irrigation Drainage in the Lower Rio Grande Valley and Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge, Texas, 1986–87’, U.S. Geol. Survey Water-Res. Invest. Rep. 87-4277.
- White, D. H., King, K. A., and Prouty, R. M.: 1980, ‘Significance of Organochlorine and Heavy Metal Residues in Wintering Shorebirds at Corpus Christi, Texas, 1976–77’, Pestic. Monit. J. 14, 58–63.
- White, D. H. and Kolbe, E. J.: 1985, ‘Secondary Poisoning of Franklin's Gulls in Texas by Monocrotophos’, J. Wildl. Dis. 21, 76–78.
- White, D. H., Mitchell, C. A., and Kaiser, T. E.: 1983a, ‘Temporal Accumulation of Organochlorine Pesticides in Shorebirds Wintering on the South Texas Coast’, Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 12, 241–245.
- White, D. H., Mitchell, C. A., Kennedy, H. D., Krynitsky, A. J. and Ribick, M. A.: 1983b, ‘Elevated DDE and Toxaphene Residues in Fishes and Birds Reflect Local Contamination in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, Texas’, Southwest. Nat. 28, 325–333.
- White, D. H., Mitchell, C. A., and Prouty, R. M.: 1983c. ‘Nesting Biology of Laughing Gulls in Relation to Agricultural Chemicals in South Texas, 1978–81’, Wilson Bull. 95, 540–551.
- White, D. H., Mitchell, C. A., and Swineford, D. M.: 1984, ‘Reproductive Success of Black Skimmers in Texas Relative to Environmental Pollutants’, J. Field Ornithol. 55, 18–30.
- Wiemeyer, S. N., Lamont, T. G., and Locke, L. N.: 1980, ‘Residues of Environmental Pollutants and Necropsy Data for Eastern United States Ospreys, 1964–1973’, Estuaries 3, 155–167.
- Woolson, E. A. (ed.): 1975, ‘Arsenical Pesticides’, Am. Chem. Soc. Symp. Ser. 7, 176 pp.
- Contaminant exposure of willets feeding in agricultural drainages of the Lower Rio Grande Valley of South Texas
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 189-200
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors