The effects of chlordiazepoxide and chlorpromazine on a punishment discrimination
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A punishment discrimination was conditioned in laboratory rats by simultaneously rewarding with food and punishing with shock all lever responses made in the presence of a discriminative stimulus (tone). Appropriate setting of the shock intensity resulted in either high or low but stable output of responses during the tone periods. Rats working on a high-shock control baseline were administered CDAP at 7.5, 15.0, and 30 mg/kg. These rats worked during the tone periods and tolerated more shocks in order to obtain food rewards. Rats working on a lowshock control baseline were administered CPZ at 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 mg/kg. These rats accepted less shocks during the tone periods. The decrease in shocks taken bears a direct relationship to the increase in dose of the drug. Some preliminary data for a monkey show the reproducibility of the behavior as well as the CDAP effects in another species.
- Brady, J. V.: Assessment of drug effects on emotional behavior. Science 123, 1033 (1956).
- Dinsmoor, J. A., and D. O. Lyon: The selective action of chlorpromazine on behavior suppressed by punishment. Psychopharmacologia (Berl.) 2, 456–460 (1962).
- Estes, W. K.: An experimental study of punishment. Psycho. Monographs 57, 1–40 (1944).
- Ferster, C. B., and B. F. Skinner: Schedules of reinforcement. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, Inc. 1957.
- Geller, I.: Use of approach avoidance behavior (conflict) for evaluating depressant drugs. Sixth Hannemann Symposium on Psychosomatic Medicine. Nodine (Ed.), Chapt. 33. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger 1962 (in press).
- —, and J. Seifter: The effects of meprobamate, barbiturates, d-amphetamine and promazine on experimentally induced conflict in the rat. Psychopharmacologia (Berl.) 1, 482–492 (1960).
- — —: The effects of mono-urethanes, di-urethanes and barbiturates on a punishment discrimination. J. Pharmacol. exp. Ther. 136, 284 (1962).
- Grossman, S. P.: Effects of chlorpromazine and perphenazine on bar-pressing performance in an approach-avoidance conflict. J. comp. physiol. Psychol. 54, 517 (1961).
- Koechlin, B. A., and M. A. Schwartz: The metabolic fate of chlordiazepoxide. Fed. Proc. 20, 171 (1961).
- Skinner, B. F.: The behavior of organisms. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, Inc. 1938.
- The effects of chlordiazepoxide and chlorpromazine on a punishment discrimination
Volume 3, Issue 5 , pp 374-385
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors