On the gas vacuoles of the halobacteria
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The cells of Halobacterium sp., strain 5, contain a large number of highly refractile bodies of the type which Petter (1932) suggested were gas-filled vacuoles. The present studies support Petter's contention, but the evidence for the exact chemical nature of the vacuole content is still indirect. It is not carbon dioxide or oxygen, but might possibly be nitrogen. “Strain 5” loses spontaneously and with a high frequency the ability to make the vacuoles.
When vacuolated cells are subjected to pressure, the vacuoles disappear, but can recover upon aeration. Oxygen and the organic constituents of the growth medium stimulate the recovery, whereas 2.4-dinitrophenol inhibits it. A procedure is described for the isolation of the vacuoles. The vacuoles are bounded by a membrane which reveals itself in electron micrographs of thin sections as a 1-layered structure about 30 Å thick.
- Bowen, C. C., Jensen, T. E. (1965) Blue-green algae: Fine structure of the gas vacuoles. Science 147: pp. 1460
- Houwink, A. L. (1956) Flagella, gas vacuoles and cell-wall structure in Halobacterium halobium, an electron microscope study. J. gen. Microbiol. 15: pp. 146
- Jost, M., Matile, P. (1966) Zur Charakterisierung der Gasvacuolen der Blaualge Oscillatoria rubescens. Arch. Mikrobiol. 53: pp. 50
- Kellenberger, E., Ryter, A., Séchaud, J. (1958) Electron microscope study of DNA-containing plasms. J. biophys. biochem. Cytol. 4: pp. 671
- Mohr, V., Larsen, H. (1963) On the structural transformations and lysis of Halobacterium salinarium in hypotonic and isotonic solutions. J. gen. Microbiol. 31: pp. 267
- Petter, H. F. M.: Over roode en andere bakteriën van gezouten visch. Doctoral Thesis, University of Utrecht, 1932.
- Spruit, C. J. P., Pijper, A. (1952) An obligate halophilic bacterium from solar salt. Antonie v. Leeuwenhoek 18: pp. 190
- Venable, J. H., Coggeshall, R. (1965) A simplified lead citrate stain for use in electron microscopy. J. Cell. Biol. 25: pp. 407
- On the gas vacuoles of the halobacteria
Archiv für Mikrobiologie
Volume 59, Issue 1-3 , pp 197-203
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors