In-vitro protein interactions with a bioactive gel-glass
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recent theories suggest that the local adsorption of biologically active peptide growth factors onto the surface of an implant may contribute to the unique osteogenic nature of silica-containing bioactive ceramics. A sol-gel derived glass is used as a model of the in-vivo reaction product of 45S5 bioactive glass at relatively short times (<48 hrs.) to investigate protein adsorption/desorption behavior. The adsorption kinetics of three heme-class proteins (cytochrome c, myoglobin, and hemoglobin) are measured spectroscopically. The rate of adsorption is shown to increase with average pore size, which is determined by the silica content of the gel. Adsorption rate decreases as protein size is increased and as solution pH is decreased. Biological function of an adsorbed peroxidase enzyme on pre-reacted Bioglass® is shown to be retained. Desorption during physiologic conditions is shown to be linear with time and pH dependant, while independent of gel bioactivity.
- Transactions of the Society for Biomaterials, XVII (Society for Biomaterials, Minneapolis, 1994).
- R.A.Messing, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 91(9), 2370 (1969).
- S.Kondo, E.Amano, and M.Kurimoto, Pure & Appl. Chem. 61(11), 1897 (1989).
- D.R.Lu and K.Park, J. of Coll. and Interf. Sci. 144(1), 271 (1991).
- J.J.Ramsden and J.E.Prenosil, J. Phys. Chem. 98, 5376 (1994).
- T.Sanada et al., J. of Biomed. Mat. Res. 20, 1179 (1986).
- L.Feng and J.D.Andrade, J. of Biomed. Mat. Res. 28, 735 (1994).
- N.Kossovsky and C.J.Freiman, Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 118, 686 (1994).
- M.Kawamura et al., Clin. Orthop. and Related Res. 217, 281 (1987).
- R.S.Pandurangi et al., Envir. Health Persp. 86, 327 (1990).
- L.L.Hench, in An Introduction to Bioceramics, edited by L.L.Hench (World Scientific, Singapore, 1993), Chapter 3.
- U.Ripamonti et al., Plastic and Reconstr. Surg. 90(3), 382 (1992).
- L.R.Snyder, Principles of Adsorption Chromatography (Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 1968).
- M.Gorbunoff, J. Anal. Biochem. 136, 425 (1984).
- H.H.Weetall and R.A.Messing, in The Chemistry of Biosurfaces, edited by M.L.Hair (Dekker, New York, 1972), p. 517.
- L.M.Ellerby et al., Science 255, 1113 (1992).
- D. Avnir, S. Braun, and M. Ottolenghi, in Supramolecular Architecture: Synthetic Control in Thin Films and Solids, edited by T. Bein (ACS Symposium Series 499, 1992), p. 384.
- P.L.Edmiston et al., J. of Coll. and Interf. Sci. 163, 395 (1994).
- D.Avner et al., Chem. Mater. 6, 1605 (1994).
- W.A.Woodhouse, J.I.Weitz, and J.L.Brash, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 28(4), 407 (1994).
- J.P.Zhong, G.P.Latorre, and L.L.Hench, in Bioceramcis, edited by O.H.Andersson, R.-P.Happonen, and A.Yli-Urpo (Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1994), Vol. 7, p. 61.
- L.L.Hench, in Bioceramcis, edited by O.H.Andersson, R.-P.Happonen, and A.Yli-Urpo (Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1994), Vol. 7, p. 3.
- E.Carlisle, in Silicon Biochemistry, edited by D.Evered and M.O'Connor (Wiley, New York, 1986), p. 123.
- K.Schwarz and D.B.Milne, Nature 239, 333 (1972).
- M.Hott et al., Calcif. Tiss. Int. 53, 174 (1993).
- P.E.Keeting et al., J. of Bone and Min. Res. 7(11), 1281 (1992).
- R.Li, A.E.Clark, and L.L.Hench, J. of Appl. Biomat. 2, 231 (1991).
- M.D.M. Pereria, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Florida (1994).
- P.G.Squire and M.E.Himmel, Arch. of Biochem. and Biophy. 196, 165 (1979).
- P.G.Righetti and G.Tudo, J. of Chromatography 220, 115 (1981).
- S.J.Baum, in Intro. to Organic and Biological Chemistry, 3rd ed. (Macmillan, New York, 1982).
- G.LaTorre and L.L.Hench, in Handbook on Characterization Techniques for the Solid-Solution Interface, edited by J.H.Adair, J.A.Casey, and S.Venigalla (Amer. Cer. Soc., Westerville, OH, 1993), p. 177.
- R.K.Iler, in The Chemistry of Silica (John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1979).
- M.vanHolte, in Biochemistry (Benjamin/Cummings Publ., New York, 1990).
- In-vitro protein interactions with a bioactive gel-glass
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
Volume 7, Issue 1-2 , pp 69-76
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors