Residues of organochlorine pesticides and polychloribiphenyls in starlings (Sturnus vulgaris), from the continental United States, 1982
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Starlings were collected from 129 sites throughout the contiguous United States in the fall of 1982 and analyzed for organochlorine compounds as part of a nationwide monitoring program. Residues of 14 organochlorine compounds were found. Only DDE, polychlorobiphenyls (PCB), dieldrin, and heptachlor epoxide occurred in more than 50% of the 10-starling pools. Geographical variation in the occurrence of seven organochlorine compounds was noted. Mean DDE levels were higher in the southwestern United States. Mean PCB levels were higher in the eastern United States. The occurrence frequency of most organochlorines in 1982 was similar to that which was reported in the previous nationwide study in 1979. A slight increase in occurrence was noted for trans-nonachlor. Mean DDE level in 1982 was similar to that of 1979. Mean PCB level in 1982 was lower than the 1979 mean, but this change may not reflect a decrease in environmental PCB levels.
- Cain, B. V. and Bunck, C. M.: 1983, ‘Residues of Organochlorine Compounds in Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris), 1979’, Environ. Monit. Assess. 3, 161–172.
- Feare, C.: 1984, The Starling, Oxford University Press, New York, 315 pp.
- Martin, W. E.: 1969, ‘Residues in Fish, Wildlife, and Estuaries. Organochlorine Insectitide Residues in Starlings’, Pestic. Monit. J. 3, 102–114.
- Martin, W. E. and Nickerson, P. R.: 1972, ‘Organochlorine Residues in Starlings, 1970’, Pestic. Monit. J. 6, 33–40.
- Nickerson, P. R. and Barbehenn, K. R.: 1975, ‘Organochlorine Residues in Starlings, 1972’, Pestic. Monit. J. 8, 247–254.
- Stickel, L. F., Stickel, W. H., McArthur, R. D., and Hughes, D. L.: 1979, ‘Chlordane in Birds: A Study of Lethal Residues and Loss Rates’, in Proceed. 10th Inter-American Conf. Toxicol. Occup. Medicine, pp. 387–396.
- Stickel, L. F., Stickel, W. H., and Dyrland, R. A.: 1983, ‘Oxychlordane, HCS-3260, and Nonachlor in Birds: Lethal Residues and Loss Rates’, J. Toxicol. Environ. Health 12, 611–622.
- White, D. H.: 1976, ‘Nationwide Residues of Organochlorines in Starlings, 1974’, Pestic. Monit. J. 10, 10–17.
- White, D. H.: 1979, ‘Nationwide Residues of Organochlorines in Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris), 1976’, Pestic. Monit. J. 12, 193–197.
- Residues of organochlorine pesticides and polychloribiphenyls in starlings (Sturnus vulgaris), from the continental United States, 1982
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 59-75
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors