Trace elements and organochlorines in surf scoters from San Francisco Bay, 1985
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Surf scoters (Melanitta perspicillata) were collected from 6 locations in San Francisco Bay during January and March 1985. Overall, mean concentrations of cadmium and zinc were higher in livers of scoters from the southern region of the Bay, whereas mean iron and lead were higher in those from the northern Bay region. Mean concentrations of arsenic, copper, lead, zinc, aluminum (January only) and iron (January) also differed among individual locations. Mean concentrations of copper and zinc increased, arsenic decreased, and cadmium remained the same between January and March. Selenium and mercury concentrations in scoter livers were not significantly correlated (P>0.05), but cadmium concentrations in livers and kidneys were positively correlated (P<0.0001), and body weight was negatively related to mercury concentration in the liver (P<0.05). Body weight differed among locations but not between January and March. Body weight was correlated with lipid content (P<0.0001). DDE and PCBs were each detected in 34 of 36 scoter carcasses. DDE increased significantly between January and March at Richmond Harbor, but BCBs did not differ between January and March at the 3 locations that could be tested.
- Bellrose, F. C.: 1980, Ducks, Geese & Swans of North America, Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, PA. 540 pp.
- Blomqvist, S., Frank, A., and Petersson, L. R.: 1987, ‘Metals in Liver and Kidney Tissues of Autumn-migrating Dunlin Calidris alpina and Curlew Sandpiper Calidris ferruginea Staging at the Baltic Sea’, Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 35, 1–13.
- Chappell, W. A. and Titman, R. D.: 1983, ‘Estimating Reserve Lipids in Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) and Lesser Scaup (A. affinis)’, Can. J. Zool. 61, 35–38.
- Cromartie, E., Reichel, W. L., Locke, L. N., Belisle, A. A., Kaiser, T. E., Lamont, T. G., Mulhern, B. M., Prouty, R. M., and Swineford, D. M.: 1975, ‘Residues of Organochlorine Pesticides and Polychlorinated Biphenyls and Autopsy Data for Bald Eagles, 1971–72’, Pestic. Monit. J. 9, 11–14.
- Di, Giulio, R. T. and Scanlon, P. F.: 1984, ‘Heavy Metals in Tissues of Waterfowl from the Chesapeake Bay, U.S.A.’, Environ. Pollut. (Ser. A) 35, 29–48.
- Di, Giulio, R. T. and Scanlon, P. F.: 1985, ‘Effects of Cadmium Ingestion and Food Restriction on Energy Metabolism and Tissue Metal Concentrations in Mallard Duck (Anas platyrhynchos)’, Environ. Res. 37, 433–444.
- Draper, N. R. and Smith, H.: 1981, Applied Regression Analysis, Second Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York, 709 pp.
- Eisler, R.: 1985, ‘Cadmium Hazards to Fish, Wildlife, and Invertebrates: A Synoptic Review’, U.S. Fish and Wildl. Serv. Biol. Rep. 85 (1.2), 46 pp.
- Eisler, R.: 1988, ‘Arsenic Hazards to Fish, Wildlife, and Invertebrates: A Synoptic Review’, U.S. Fish and Wildl. Serv. Biol. Rep. 85 (1.12), 92 pp.
- Eisler, R.: 1989, ‘Tin Hazards to Fish, Wildlife, and Invertebrates: A Synoptic Review’, U.S. Fish and Wildl. Serv. Biol. Rep. 85 (1.15), 83 pp.
- Fimreite, N.: 1971, ‘Effects of Dietary Methylmercury on Ring-necked Pheasants’, Canadian Wildl. Serv. Occasional Paper No. 9, 39 pp.
- Finley, M. T. and Stendell, R. C.: 1978, ‘Survival and Reproductive Success of Black Ducks fed Methyl Mercury’, Environ. Pollut. 16, 51–64.
- Frank, A.: 1986, ‘In Search of Biomonitors for Cadmium: Cadmium Content of Wild Swedish Fauna During 1973–1976’, Sci. Total Environ. 57, 57–65.
- Furness, R. and Hutton, M.: 1979, ‘Pollutant Levels in the Great Skua Catharacta skua’, Environ. Pollut. 19, 261–268.
- Gardiner, E. E., Hironaka, R., and Slen, S. B.: 1971, ‘Growth, Feed Efficiency and Levels of Mercury in Tissues of Two Breeds of Chickens Fed Methyl Mercury Dicyandiamide’, Can. J. Anim. Sci. 51, 657–662.
- Goede, A. A.: 1985, ‘Mercury, Selenium, Arsenic and Zinc in Waders from the Dutch Wadden Sea’, Environ. Pollut. (Ser. A) 37, 287–309.
- Haarakangas, H., Hyvarinen, H., and Ojanen, M.: 1974, ‘Seasonal Variations and the Effects of Nesting and Moulting on Liver Mineral Content in the House Sparrow (Passer domesticus L.)’, Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 47A, 153–163.
- Hayes, S. P. and Phillips, P. T.: 1985, ‘California State Mussel Watch Marine Water Quality Monitoring Program 1984–84’, Water Quality Monitoring Report No. 85-3 WQ, California State Water Resources Control Board, Sacramento, CA.
- Hayes, S. P. and Phillips, P. T.: 1986, ‘California State Mussel Watch Marine Water Quality Monitoring Program 1984–85’, Water Quality Monitoring Report No. 86-3 WQ, California State Water Resources Control Board, Sacramento, CA.
- Hayes, S. P. and Phillips, P. T.: 1987, ‘California State Mussel Watch Marine Water Quality Monitoring Program 1985–86’, Water Quality Monitoring Report No. 87-2 WQ, California State Water Resources Control Board, Sacramento, CA.
- Heinz, G. H.: 1976, ‘Methylmercury: Second-year Feeding Effects on Mallard Reproduction and Duckling Behavior’, J. Wildl. Manage, 40, 82–90.
- Heinz, G. H.: 1979, ‘Methylmercury: Reproductive and Behavioral Effects on Three Generations of Mallard Ducks’, J. Wildl. Manage, 43, 394–401.
- Heinz, G. H., Pendleton, G. W., Krynitsky, A. J., and Gold, L. G.: 1990, ‘Selenium Accumulation and Elimination in Mallards’, Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 19 (in press).
- Hutton, M.: 1981, ‘Accumulation of Heavy Metals and Selenium in Three Seabird Species from the United Kingdom’, Environ. Pollut. (Ser. A) 26, 129–145.
- Jenkins, D. W.: 1980, ‘Toxic Trace Metals in Plants and Animals of the World’, Parts I and III, in Biological Monitoring of Toxic Trace Metals, Vol. 2, U.S. Environ. Protection Agency Rep. 600/3-80-090 and 600/3-80-092, Las Vegas, NV.
- Kaiser, T. E., Reichel, W. L., Locke, L. N., Cromartie, E., Krynitsky, A. J., Lamont, T. G., Mulhern, B. M., Prouty, R. M., Stafford, C. J., and Swineford, D. M.: 1980, ‘Organochlorine Pesticide, PCB, PBB Residues and Necropsy Data for Bald Eagles from 29 States — 1975–77’, Pestic. Monit. J. 13, 145–149.
- Lande, E.: 1977, ‘Heavy Metal Pollution in Trondheimsfjorden, Norway, and the Recorded Effects on the Fauna and Flora’, Environ. Pollut. 12, 187–198.
- Leonzio, C., Fossi, C., and Focardi, S.: 1986a, ‘Lead, Mercury, Cadmium and Selenium in Two Species of Gull Feeding on Inland Dumps, and in Marine Areas’, Sci. Total Environ. 57, 121–127.
- Leonzio, C., Fossi, C., and Focardi, S.: 1986b, ‘Heavy Metals and Selenium Variation in a Migratory Bird Wintering in a Mercury-Polluted Lagoon’, Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 37, 219–225.
- Neter, J. and Waserman, W.: 1974, ‘Applied Linear Statistical Models’, Richard D. Irwin, Inc., Homewood, IL, 842 pp.
- Ohlendorf, J. M. and Miller, M. R.: 1984, ‘Organochlorine Contaminants in California Waterfowl’, J. Wildl. Manage. 48, 867–877.
- Ohlendorf, H. M. and Harrison, C. S.: 1986, ‘Mercury, Selenium, Cadmium and Organochlorines in Eggs of Three Hawaiian Seabird Species’, Environ. Pollut. (Ser. B) 11, 169–191.
- Ohlendorf, H. M., Hoffman, D. J., Saiki, M. K., and Aldrich, T. W.: 1986a, ‘Embryonic Mortality and Abnormalities of Aquatic Birds: Apparent Impacts of Selenium from Irrigation Drainwater’, Sci. Total Environ. 52, 49–63.
- Ohlendorf, H. M., Hothem, R. L., Bunck, C. M., Aldrich, T. W., and Moore, J. F.: 1986b, ‘Relationships Between Selenium Concentrations and Avian Reproduction’, Trans. N. Am. Wildl. Nat. Resour. Conf. 51, 330–342.
- Ohlendorf, H. M., Lowe, R. W., Kelly, P. R., and Harvey, T. E.: 1986c, ‘Selenium and Heavy Metals in San Francisco Bay Diving Ducks’, J. Wildl. Manage. 50, 64–71.
- Ohlendorf, H. M. and Fleming, W. J.: 1988, ‘Birds and Environmental Contaminants in San Francisco and Chesapeake Bays’, Mar. Pollut. Bull. 19, 487–495.
- Ohlendorf, H. M., Kilness, A. W., Simmons, J. L., Stroud, R. K., Hoffman, D. J., and Moore, J. F.: 1988, ‘Selenium Toxicosis in Wild Aquatic Birds’, J. Toxicol. Environ. Health 24, 67–92.
- Ohlendorf, H. M., Marois, K. C., Lowe, R. W., Harvey, T. E., and Kelly, P. R.: 1989, ‘Environmental Contaminants and Diving Ducks in San Francisco Bay’, in Howard, A. Q. (ed.), Selenium and Agricultural Drainage: Implications for San Francisco Bay and the California Environment, Proceedings of the Fourth Selenium Symposium, Berkeley, CA, March 21, 1987. The Bay Institute of San Francisco, Sausalito, CA, pp. 60–69.
- Osborn, D.: 1979, ‘Seasonal Changes in the Fat, Protein and Metal Content of the Liver of the Starling Sturnus vulgaris’, Environ. Pollut. 19, 145–155.
- Parslow, J. L. F., Thomas, G. J., and Williams, T D.: 1982, ‘Heavy Metals in the Livers of Waterfowl from the Ouse Washes, England’, Environ. Pollut. (Ser. A) 29, 317–327.
- Presser, T. S. and Ohlendorf, H. M.: 1987, ‘Biogeochemical Cycling of Selenium in the San Joaquin Valley, California, USA’, Environ. Manage. 11, 805–821.
- Renzoni, A., Focardi, S., Fossi, C., Leonzio, C., and Mayol, J.: 1986, ‘Comparison Between Concentrations of Mercury and Other Contaminants in Eggs and Tissues of Cory's Shearwater Calonectris diomedea Collected on Atlantic and Mediterranean Islands’, Environ. Pollut. (Ser. A) 40, 17–35.
- Scheuhammer, A. M.: 1987, ‘The Chronic Toxicity of Aluminium, Cadmium, Mercury, and Lead in Birds: A Review’, Environ. Pollut. 46, 263–295.
- Serie, J. R. and Sharp, D. E.: 1989, ‘Body Weight and Composition Dynamics of Fall Migrating Canvasbacks’, J. Wildl. Manage. 53, 431–441.
- Sokal, R. R. and Rohlf, F. J.: 1981, Biometry, 2nd ed. W. H. Freeman and Co., New York, 859 pp.
- Stickel, L. F.: 1973, ‘Pesticide Residues in Birds and Mammals’, in Edwards, C.A. (ed.), Environmental Pollution by Pesticides, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 254–312.
- Stickel, L. F., Stickel, W. H., McLane, M. A. R., and Bruns, M.: 1977, ‘Prolonged Retention of Methyl Mercury by Mallard Drakes’, Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 18, 393–400.
- Tejning, S.: 1967, ‘Biological Effects of Methyl Mercury Dicyandiamide-treated Grain in the Domestic Fowl Gallus gallus L.’, I. Studies on food consumption, egg production and general health, Oikos Suppl. 8, 7–17.
- Vermeer, K. and Peakall, D. B.: 1979, ‘Trace Metals in Seaducks of the Fraser River Delta Intertidal Area, British Columbia’, Mar. Pollut. Bull. 10, 189–193.
- Trace elements and organochlorines in surf scoters from San Francisco Bay, 1985
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 105-122
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Pacific Coast Research Station, USA
- 2. Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Biology, University of California, 95616, Davis, CA, USA
- 4. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge, P.O. Box 524, 94560, Newark, CA, USA
- 7. California Department of Fish and Game, P.O. Box 47, 94599, Yountville, CA, USA