Anaerobic gram-negative faecal flora in patients with Crohn's Disease and healthy subjects
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The anaerobic gram-negative faecal flora of five patients with Crohn's Disease (CD) was identified and compared with that of healthy subjects. For isolation and cultivation of the anaerobic gram-negative rods a non-selective medium was used. There were no significant differences in numbers of Bacteroides and Fusobacterium spp. between patients with CD and healthy subjects. However, the numbers of the “Bacteroides fragilis” group were significantly higher in patients than in controls. The high numbers of the “B. fragilis” group in the faeces of patients were particularly due to B. vulgatus which was 6 times more frequent in patients than in healthy subjects. This indicated that B. vulgatus was responsible for the higher numbers of anaerobic gram-negative rods in the faecal flora of patients with CD.
- Best, J. R., Becktel, J. M., Singleton, J. W. and Kern, F., 1976. Development of a Crohn's Disease activity index. National cooperative Crohn's Disease study. — Gastroenterology 70: 439–444.
- Carlsson, J. 1973. Simplified gas-chromatographic procedure for identification of bacterial metabolic products. — Appl. Microbiol. 25: 287–289.
- Cato, E. P. and Johnson, J. L. 1976. Reinstatement of species rank for Bacteroides fragilis, B. ovatus, B. distasonis, B. thetaiotaomicron and B. vulgatus: designation of neotype strains for Bacteroides fragilis (Veillon and Zuber) Castellani and Chalmers and Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron (Distaso) Castellani and Chalmers. — Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 26: 230–237.
- Cummings, J. H., Wiggins, H. S., Jenkins, D. J. A., Houston, H., Jivraj, T., Drasar, B. S. and Hill, M. J. 1978. Influence of diets high and low in animal fat on bowel habit, gastrointestinal transit time, fecal microflora, bile acid and fat excretion. — J. Clin. Invest. 61: 953–963.
- Duerden, B. I. 1980. The isolation and identification of Bacteroides spp. from the normal human faecal flora. — J. Med. Microbiol. 13: 69–78.
- Finegold, S. M., Attebery, H. R. and Sutter, V. L. 1974. Effects of diet on human faecal flora: comparison of Japanese and American diets. — The Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 27: 1456–1469.
- Goldberg, M. J., Smith, J. W. and Nichols, R. L. 1977. Comparison of the fecal microflora of Seventh-Day Adventists with individuals consuming a general diet. — Ann. Surg. 186: 97–100.
- Helphingstine, C. J., Hentges, D. J., Campbell, B. J., Butt, J. and Barrett, J. T. 1979. Antibodies detectable by counterimmunoelectrophoresis against Bacteroides antigens in serum of patients with inflammatory bowel disease. — J. Clin. Microbiol. 9: 373–378.
- Holdeman, L. V., Cato, E. P. and Moore, W. E. C. 1977. Anaerobe Laboratory Manual, 4th ed. — Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg.
- Holdeman, L. V., Good, I. J. and Moore, W. E. C. 1976. Human faecal flora: variation in bacterial composition within individuals and a possible effect of emotional stress. — Appl. Environm. Microbiol. 31: 359–375.
- Keighley, M. R. B., Arabi, Y., Dimock, F., Burdon, D. W., Allan, R. N. and Alexander-Williams, J. 1978. Influence of inflammatory bowel disease on intestinal microflora. — Gut 19: 1099–1104.
- Kirsner, J. B. 1975. Problems in the differentiation of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease of the colon: the need for repeated diagnostic evaluation. — Gastroenterology 68: 187–191.
- Krook, A. 1981. Effect of metronidazole and sulfasalazine on the normal human faecal flora. —Scand. J. Gastroent. 16: 587–592.
- Krook, A., Danielsson, D., Kjellander, J. and Järnerot, G. 1981. The effect of metronidazole and sulfasalazine on the faecal flora in patients with Crohn's Disease. — Scand. J. Gastroent. 16: 183–192.
- Lennard-Jones, J. E., Lockhart-Mummery, H. E. and Morson, B. C. 1968. Clinical and pathological differentiation of Crohn's Disease and proctocolitis. — Gastroenterology 54: 1162–1170.
- Lindberg, A. A., Weintraub, A. and Nord, C. E. 1979. The humoral antibody response to Bacteroides fragilis infections in humans. — Scand. J. Infect. Dis., Suppl. 19: 46–51.
- Moore, W. E. C. and Holdeman, L. V. 1974. Human faecal flora: the normal flora of 20 Japanese-Hawaiians. — Appl. Microbiol. 27: 961–979.
- Persson, S. and Danielsson, D. 1979. On the occurrence of serum antibodies to Bacteroides fragilis and serogroups of E. coli in patients with Crohn's Disease. — Scand. J. Infect. Dis., Suppl. 19: 61–67.
- Wensinck, F. 1975. The faecal flora of patients with Crohn's Disease. — Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 41: 214–215.
- Wensinck, F. 1976. Faecal flora of Crohn's patients. Serological differentiation between Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis. In I. T. Westerman, A. S. Peña and C. C. Booth (eds), The management of Crohn's Disease. — Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam-Oxford.
- Wensinck, F., Custers-Van Lieshout, L. M. C., Poppelaars-Kustermans, P. A. J. and Schröder, A. M. 1981. The faecal flora of patients with Crohn's disease. — J. Hyg., Camb. 87: 1–12.
- Wensinck, F. and Ruseler-Van Embden, J. G. H. 1971. The intestinal flora of colonization-resistant mice. — J. Hyg., Camb. 69: 413–421.
- Anaerobic gram-negative faecal flora in patients with Crohn's Disease and healthy subjects
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek
Volume 49, Issue 2 , pp 125-132
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors