The unique limit of the Glimm scheme
- Alberto Bressan
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We introduce the definitions of a standard Riemann semigroup and of a viscosity solution for a nonlinear hyperbolic system of conservation laws. For a class including general 2×2 systems, it is proved that the solutions obtained by a wavefront tracking algorithm or by the Glimm scheme are precisely the semigroup trajectories. In particular, these solutions are unique and depend Lipschitz continuously on the initial data in the L 1 norm.
- A. Bressan, Contractive metrics for nonlinear hyperbolic systems, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 37 (1988), 409–421.
- A. Bressan, Unique solutions for a class of discontinuous differential equations, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 104 (1988), 772–778.
- A. Bressan, Global solutions of systems of conservation laws by wave-front tracking, J. Math. Anal Appl. 170 (1992), 414–432.
- A. Bressan, A contractive metric for systems of conservation laws with coinciding shock and rarefaction waves, J. Diff. Eqs. 106 (1993), 332–366.
- A. Bressan, A locally contractive metric for systems of conservation laws, Annali Scuola Norm. Sup. Pisa, to appear.
- A. Bressan & R. M. Colombo, The semigroup generated by 2×2 systems of conservation laws, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal., to appear.
- C. Dafermos, Polygonal approximations of solutions of the initial value problem for a conservation law, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 38 (1972), 33–41.
- C. Dafermos, Generalized characteristics in hyperbolic systems of conservation laws, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 107 (1989), 127–155.
- R. DiPerna, Singularities of solutions of nonlinear hyperbolic conservation laws, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 60 (1975), 75–100.
- R. DiPerna, Global existence of solutions to nonlinear hyperbolic systems of conservation laws, J. Diff. Eqs. 20 (1976), 187–212.
- R. DiPerna, Convergence of approximate solutions to conservation laws, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 82 (1983), 27–70.
- J. Glimm, Solutions in the large for nonlinear hyperbolic systems of equations, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 18 (1965), 697–715.
- J. Glimm & P. Lax, Decay of solutions of systems of hyperbolic conservation laws, Amer. Math. Soc. Memoir 101, Providence, 1970.
- J. Goodman & Z. Xin, Viscous limits for piecewise smooth solutions to systems of conservation laws, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 121 (1992), 235–265.
- S. Kužkov, First order quasilinear equations with several space variables, Math. USSR Sbornik 10 (1970), 217–273.
- P. Lax, Hyperbolic systems of conservation laws II, Comm. Pure Appl Math. 10 (1957), 537–566.
- T.-P. Liu, The deterministic version of the Glimm scheme, Comm. Math. Phys. 57 (1975), 135–148.
- T.-P. Liu, Decay to N-waves of solutions of general systems of nonlinear hyperbolic conservation laws, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 30 (1977), 585–610.
- T. P. Liu, Linear and nonlinear large-time behavior of solutions of general systems of hyperbolic conservation laws, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 30 (1977), 767–796.
- V. J. Ljapidevskii, On correctness classes for nonlinear hyperbolic systems, Soviet Math. Dokl. 16 (1975), 1505–1509.
- B. J. Lucier, Error bounds for the methods of Glimm, Godunov and LeVeque, SIAM J. Num. Anal. 22 (1985), 1074–1081.
- G. Pimbley, A semigroup for Lagrangian 1D isentropic flow, in Transport theory, invariant imbedding and integral equations, G. Webb ed., M. Dekker, New York, 1989.
- N. H. Risebro, A front-tracking alternative to the random choice method, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 117 (1993), 1125–1139.
- B. L. Roždestvenskii & N. Yanenko, Systems of quasilinear equations, Amer. Math. Soc. Translations of Mathematical Monographs, Vol. 55, 1983.
- J. Smoller, Shock Waves and Reaction-Diffusion Equations, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1983.
- The unique limit of the Glimm scheme
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis
Volume 130, Issue 3 , pp 205-230
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Alberto Bressan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. S.I.S.S.A., Via Beirut 4, 34014, Trieste, Italy