Digestive enzymes secreted by the carnivorous plant Nepenthes macferlanei L.
- Zoltán A. TökésAffiliated withDepartment of Biochemistry, University of Malaya
- , Wang Chee WoonAffiliated withDivision of Botany, University of Malaya
- , Susan M. ChambersAffiliated withBasel Institute for Immunology
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
At least two proteases are present in the secretion of the pitchers of Nepenthes macferlanei, a major one with an estimated molecular weight of 59000 and a minor one of 21000. The specificity of the major enzyme, nepenthesin, was broader than previously reported, and strikingly similar to that of pepsin. Lipase activity was also demonstrated, while no amylase activity was present.
- Digestive enzymes secreted by the carnivorous plant Nepenthes macferlanei L.
Volume 119, Issue 1 , pp 39-46
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biochemistry, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 3. Division of Botany, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 4. Basel Institute for Immunology, Grenzacher Str. 487, CH-4058, Basel, Switzerland