Preferential derivation of abnormal human G-group-like chromosomes from chromosome 15
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The marked binding of antibodies specific for 5-methylcytidine to the short arm of chromosome 15 distinguishes this chromosome from the other human acrocentrics. This method has been used to study over 60 individuals including 12 who did not have Down's syndrome, but who did have an extra G-group sized acrocentric chromosome. In six cases the extra chromosome did not show intensive binding of anti-5-methylcytidine. In the other six cases, the extra chromosome contained a 5-methylcytidine rich band at each end indicating that both ends were derived from chromosome 15 and contained centromeric heterochromatin normally present on the short arm of chromosome 15. The duplication of short arm material in the abnormal chromosomes was confirmed in all cases by quinacrine staining, nucleolar organizer (Ag-AS) staining or C-banding. In three cases, the abnormal chromosome appeared to arise from two different chromosomes 15. Several possible mechanisms for the production of the abnormal chromosome are discussed. The individuals with this abnormal chromosome all showed some degree of mental retardation, but few common physical findings.
- Bateman, A. J.: Simplification of palindrome telomere theory. Nature 253, 379–380 (1975)
- Brandham, P. E.: Stabilised breakage of a duplication chromosome segment in Aloe. Chromosoma (Berl.) 51, 369–378 (1975) CrossRef
- Breg, W. R., Miller, O. J., Miller, D. A., Allderdice, P. W.: Distinctive fluorescence of quinacrine-labelled human G-group chromosomes. Nature New Biol. 231, 276–277 (1971)
- Bucher, W., Parker, C. E., Crandall, B., Alfi, O. S.: Partial trisomy of chromosome 15. Lancet 1973 I, 1250
- Cavalier-Smith, T.: Palindrome base sequences and replication of eukaryote chromosome ends. Nature 250, 467–470 (1974)
- D'Alisa, R.: The preparation and properties of antibodies to three triplet codons and their application to biological and biochemical systems. Doctoral Thesis, Columbia University (1975)
- Erlanger, B. F., Beiser, S. M.: Antibodies specific for ribonucleosides and ribonucleotides and their replication with DNA. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S. 52, 68–74 (1964)
- Goodpasture, C., Bloom, S. E.: Visualization of nucleolar organizer regions in mammalian chromosomes using a silver stain. Chromosoma (Berl.) 53, 37–50 (1975)
- Howell, W. M., Denton, T. E., Diamond, J. R.: Differential staining of the satellite regions of human acrocentric chromosomes. Experientia (Basel) 31, 260–262 (1974)
- Jones, G. H., Brumpton, R. J.: Sister and non-sister chromatid U-type exchanges in rye meiosis. Chromosoma (Berl.) 33, 115–128 (1971) CrossRef
- Levine, L., Van Vunakis, H., Gallo, R. C.: Serologic specificities of methylated base immune systems. Biochemistry 10, 2009–2013 (1971)
- McClintock, B.: Spontaneous alterations in chromosome size and form in Zea mays. Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 9, 72–81 (1941)
- Miller, O. J., Miller, D. A., Kouri, R. E., Allderdice, P. W., Dev, V. G., Grewal, M. S., Hutton, J. J.: Identification of the mouse karyotype by quinacrine fluorescence and tentative assignment of seven linkage groups. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S. 68, 1530–1533 (1971)
- Miller, O. J., Schnedl, W., Allen, J., Erlanger, B. F.: 5-Methylcytosine localized in mammalian constitutive heterochromatin. Nature 251, 636–637 (1974)
- Miller, O. J., Erlanger, B. F.: Immunological Probes of Human Chromosome Organization. In: Pathobiology Annual 1975, H. L. Ioachim, ed., pp. 71–103. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts
- Parker, C. E., Alfi, O. S.: Partial trisomy of chromosome 15. Lancet 1972I, 1073
- Sawicki, D., Erlanger, B. F., Beiser, S. M.: Unpublished
- Schreck, R. R., Erlanger, B. F., Miller, O. J.: The use of antinucleoside antibodies to probe the organization of chromosomes denatured by ultraviolet irradiation. Exp. Cell Res. 88, 31–39 (1974)
- Schreck, R. R.: The structural organization of mammalian metaphase chromosomes and its relation to chromosome banding patterns as revealed by anti-nucleoside antibodies. Doctoral Thesis, Columbia University (1976)
- Warburton, D., Henderson, A. S., Shapiro, L. R., Hsu, L. Y. F.: A stable human dicentric chromosome, tdic (12;14)(p13;p13) including an intercalary satellite region between centromeres. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 25, 439–445 (1973)
- Preferential derivation of abnormal human G-group-like chromosomes from chromosome 15
Volume 36, Issue 1 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Human Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, N.Y.
- 2. Southbury Training School., and Department of Human Genetics and Pediatrics, Yale University, New Haven, Conn.
- 3. Department of Microbiology, Columbia University, New York, N.Y.
- 4. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia University, New York, N.Y.