Does unemployment lead to self-employment?
- Nigel Meager
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The currently burgeoning literature on the nature of and the causes for the recent reverse in the downward trend in self-employment in many developed economies, contains a somewhat inconclusive debate on the relationship between unemployment and self-employment, and whether self-employment fluctuates pro- or countercyclically. This paper reviews this literature, presents some recent evidence for EC countries, and argues that the approach in the previous research of searching for relationships between unemployment and self-employment stocks is fundamentally inappropriate. A new approach, based on an analysis of inflows to and outflows from self-employment, is called for.
- Does unemployment lead to self-employment?
Small Business Economics
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 87-103
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Nigel Meager (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Manpower Studies, University of Sussex, BN1 9RF, Brighton, UK
- 2. Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung, Reichpietschufer 50, DW-1000, Berlin 30, Germany