Inhibitory effects of full daylight on the germination of Lactuca sativa L.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Using glass filters that transmit various spectral bands and different intensities of natural daylight, experiments with achenes of lettuce cv. Vanquard were performed. Germination during prolonged treatment depended both on the far red/red radiation ratio and on the irradiance. The promotive effect of red radiation present in natural light prevailed at low irradiances, the inhibitory effect of far red radiation at high irradiances. The dormancy imposed by prolonged white light of high intensity can be cancelled by transferring the achenes to darkness or to diffuse weak white light. The effects are obviously of the “high irradiance response” type; they are exerted by the same mechanism that causes seed dormancy under leaf canopies. Some considerations on the ecological significance of seed behaviour are given.
- Evenari, M. Light and seed dormancy. In: Ruhland, W. eds. (1965) Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology. Vol. XV. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, pp. 804-847
- Górski, T. (1975) Germination of seeds in the shadow of plants. Physiol. Plant. 34: pp. 342-346
- Górski, T. (1976) Red and far red radiation at sunset: Annual cycle and dependence on precipitable water. Naturwissenschaften 63: pp. 530
- Górski, T., Górska, K., Nowicki, J. (1977) Germination of seeds of various herbaceous species under leaf canopy. Flora 166: pp. 249-259
- Hartmann, K.M. (1966) A general hypothesis to interpret “high energy phenomena” of photomorphogenesis on the basis of phytochrome. Photochem. Photobiol. 5: pp. 349-366
- Holmes, M.G., Smith, H. (1977) The function of phytochrome in the natural environment. Photochem. Photobiol. 25: pp. 533-557
- Kendrick, R.E., Spruit, C.J.P. (1977) Phototransformations of phytochrome. Photochem. Photobiol. 26: pp. 201-214
- Mohr, H. (1972) Lectures on Photomorphogenesis. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York
- Rollin, P. Phytochrome control of seed germination. In: Mitrakos, K., Shropshire, W. eds. (1972) Phytochrome. Academic Press, London-New York
- Toole, V.K. (1973) Effects of light, temperature and their interactions on the germination of seeds. Seed Sci. Technol. 1: pp. 339-396
- Inhibitory effects of full daylight on the germination of Lactuca sativa L.
Volume 144, Issue 2 , pp 121-124
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Germination (seeds)
- Light (high irradiance response)
- Industry Sectors