Self complementary topologies and preorders
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A topology on a set X is self complementary if there is a homeomorphic copy on the same set that is a complement in the lattice of topologies on X. The problem of characterizing finite self complementary topologies leads us to redefine the problem in terms of preorders (i.e. reflexive, transitive relations). A preorder P on a set X is self complementary if there is an isomorphic copy P′ of P on X that is arc disjoint to P (except for loops) and with the property that P∪P′ is strongly connected. We characterize here self complementary finite partial orders and self complementary finite equivalence relations.
- A. V.Aho, J. E.Hopcroft, and J. D.Ullman (1974) The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms, Addison-Wesley, London.
- B. A.Anderson (1971) Families of mutually complementary topologies, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 29, 362–368.
- B. A.Anderson (1973) Finite topologies and Hamiltonian paths, J. Comb. Th. (B) 14, 87–93.
- C.Berge (1979) Graphs and Hypergraphs, North Holland, New York.
- J. I. Brown and S. Watson, Mutually Complementary Partial Orders, submitted.
- J. I. Brown and S. Watson, The Self Complementarity of Countable Infinite Relations, in preparation.
- M.Erné (1974) Struktur- und Anzahlformeln fur Topologien auf endlichen Mengen, Manuscripta Math. 11, 221–259.
- J. W.Evans, F.Harary, and M. S.Lynn (1967) On the computer enumeration of finite topologies, Comm. ACM 10, 295–297. CrossRef
- J.Hartmanis (1958) On the lattice of topologies, Canad. Math. J. 10, 547–553.
- D.Kleitman and B.Rothschild (1970) The number of finite topologies, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 25, 276–282.
- A. C. M.vanRooij (1968) The lattice of all topologies is complemented, Canad. Math. J. 20, 805–807.
- J.Rosenstein (1982) Linear Orderings, Academic Press, New York.
- P. S.Schnare (1968) Multiple complementation in the lattice of topologies, Fund. Math. 62, 53–59.
- P. S.Schnare (1969) Infinite complementation in the lattice of topologies, Fund. Math. 64, 249–255.
- R. P.Stanley (1971) On the number of open sets of finite topologies, J. Comb. Th. 10, 74–79. CrossRef
- R. P.Stanley (1973) An extremal problem for finite topologies and distributive lattices, J. Comb. Th. (A) 14, 209–214.
- A. K.Steiner (1966) The lattice of topologies: structure and complementation, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 122, 379–397.
- J. Stepráns and S. Watson, Mutually complementary partial orders and T 1 topologies, submitted.
- S. Watson, A completely regular space which is its own T 1-complement, submitted.
- S. Watson, The number of complements, Top. Appl., to appear.
- Self complementary topologies and preorders
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 317-328
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- finite topology
- self complementary
- equivalence relation