Self complementary topologies and preorders
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A topology on a set X is self complementary if there is a homeomorphic copy on the same set that is a complement in the lattice of topologies on X. The problem of characterizing finite self complementary topologies leads us to redefine the problem in terms of preorders (i.e. reflexive, transitive relations). A preorder P on a set X is self complementary if there is an isomorphic copy P′ of P on X that is arc disjoint to P (except for loops) and with the property that P∪P′ is strongly connected. We characterize here self complementary finite partial orders and self complementary finite equivalence relations.
- Aho, A. V., Hopcroft, J. E., Ullman, J. D. (1974) The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms. Addison-Wesley, London
- Anderson, B. A. (1971) Families of mutually complementary topologies. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 29: pp. 362-368
- Anderson, B. A. (1973) Finite topologies and Hamiltonian paths. J. Comb. Th. (B) 14: pp. 87-93
- Berge, C. (1979) Graphs and Hypergraphs. North Holland, New York
- J. I. Brown and S. Watson, Mutually Complementary Partial Orders, submitted.
- J. I. Brown and S. Watson, The Self Complementarity of Countable Infinite Relations, in preparation.
- Erné, M. (1974) Struktur- und Anzahlformeln fur Topologien auf endlichen Mengen. Manuscripta Math. 11: pp. 221-259
- Evans, J. W., Harary, F., Lynn, M. S. (1967) On the computer enumeration of finite topologies. Comm. ACM 10: pp. 295-297 CrossRef
- Hartmanis, J. (1958) On the lattice of topologies. Canad. Math. J. 10: pp. 547-553
- Kleitman, D., Rothschild, B. (1970) The number of finite topologies. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 25: pp. 276-282
- Rooij, A. C. M. (1968) The lattice of all topologies is complemented. Canad. Math. J. 20: pp. 805-807
- Rosenstein, J. (1982) Linear Orderings. Academic Press, New York
- Schnare, P. S. (1968) Multiple complementation in the lattice of topologies. Fund. Math. 62: pp. 53-59
- Schnare, P. S. (1969) Infinite complementation in the lattice of topologies. Fund. Math. 64: pp. 249-255
- Stanley, R. P. (1971) On the number of open sets of finite topologies. J. Comb. Th. 10: pp. 74-79 CrossRef
- Stanley, R. P. (1973) An extremal problem for finite topologies and distributive lattices. J. Comb. Th. (A) 14: pp. 209-214
- Steiner, A. K. (1966) The lattice of topologies: structure and complementation. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 122: pp. 379-397
- J. Stepráns and S. Watson, Mutually complementary partial orders and T 1 topologies, submitted.
- S. Watson, A completely regular space which is its own T 1-complement, submitted.
- S. Watson, The number of complements, Top. Appl., to appear.
- Self complementary topologies and preorders
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 317-328
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- finite topology
- self complementary
- equivalence relation