The kinetics and regulation of M-xylose transport in Candida utilis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Low-affinity (K m=67.6±3.2 mM) and high-affinity (K m=1.9±1.2 mM) D-xylose transport occur in Candida utilis grown, respectively, on D-glucose or D-xylose. Starvation of glucose-grown cells decreases the K m value (10.5±2.6 mm). The high-affinity system appearing during starvation required protein synthesis and it was inactivated when cells were exposed to glucose, by a process independent of protein synthesis. High-affinity transport was accompanied by transient alkalinization of yeast suspensions, indicating that it is a proton symport, whereas low-affinity transport was not. Both systems, however, were inhibited by metabolic inhibitors and by replacing H2O in the transport assay with D2O, indicating that both may be proton symports. Glucose and acetic acid also inhibited both high-and low-affinity xylose transport.
- Alcorn, M.E. & Griffin, C. 1978 A kinetic analysis of D-xylose transport in Rhodotorula glutinis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 510, 361–371.
- Barnett, J.A. & Sims, A.P. 1976 A note on the kinetics of uptake of D-glucose by the food yeast, Candida utilis. Archives of Microbiology 11, 193–194.
- Dale, B.E. 1987 Lignocellulose conversion and the future of fermentation biotechnology. Tibtech 5, 287–291.
- Does, A.L. & Bisson, L.F. 1989 Characterization of xylose uptake in the yeasts Pichia heedii and Pichia stipitis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 55, 159–164.
- Holder, N.H.M., Kilian, S.G. & du Preez, J.C. 1989 Yeast biomass from bagasse hydrolysates. Biological Wastes 38, 239–246.
- Jeffries, T.W. 1983 Utilization of xylose by bacteria, yeasts, and fungi. Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology 27, 1–32.
- Kilian, S.G. & Van Uden, N. 1988 Transport of xylose and glucose in the xylose-fermenting yeast Pichia stipitis. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 27, 545–548.
- Kotyk, A., Dvoráková, M. & Koryta, J. 1990 Deuterons cannot replace protons in active transport processes in yeast. FEBS Letters 264, 203–205.
- Loureiro-Dias, M.C. 1988 Movements of protons coupled to glucose transport in yeasts. A comparative study among 248 yeast strains. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek; Journal of Microbiology and Serology 54, 331–343.
- Lucas, C. & Van Uden, N. 1986 Transport of hemicellulose monomers in the xylose-fermenting yeast Candida shehatae. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 23, 491–495.
- Lucas, C. & Van Uden, N. 1988 Interconversion and glucose-induced inactivation of glucose transport systems in Candida shehatae. Journal of Basic Microbiology 28, 639–643.
- Peinado, J.M., Cameira-dos-Santos, P.J. & Loureiro-Dias, M.C. 1988 Regulation of glucose transport in Candida utilis. Journal of General Microbiology 134, 195–201.
- Postma, E., Scheffers, W.A. & Van Dijken, J.P. 1988 Adaptation of the kinetics of glucose transport to environmental conditions in the yeast Candida utilis CBS 621, a continuous-culture study. Journal of General Microbiology 134, 1109–1116.
- Prasad, R. & Höfer, M. 1987 The electrochemical gradient of H+ in Candida albicans and its relevance to the uptake of nutrients. Biochemistry International 14, 617–626.
- Prescott, S.C. & Dunn, C.G. 1957 Industrial Microbiology, 3rd edn. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Šestáková, M. 1979 Growth of Candida utilis on a mixture of monosaccharides, acetic acid and ethanol as a model of waste sulphite liquor. Folia Microbiologica 24, 318–327.
- Spencer-Martins, I. & Van Uden, N. 1985 Catabolite interconversion of glucose transport systems in the yeast Candida wickerhamii. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 812, 168–172.
- Streit, J.D., Prior, B.A. & Kilian, S.G. 1987 Substrate utilisation by yeast in a spent sulphite liquor permeate. Water SA 13, 145–150.
- Van Uden, N. 1967 Transport-limited fermentation and growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and its competitive inhibition. Archives of Microbiology 58, 155–168.
- Verma, R.S., Spencer-Martins, I. & Van Uden, N. 1987 Role of de novo protein synthesis in the interconversion of glucose transport systems in the yeast Pichia ohmeri. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 900, 139–144.
- Waugh, E.J. & Purchase, B.S. 1987 The influence of glucose and ethanol on enzyme hydrolysis of steam-exploded bagasse. Biotechnology Letters 9, 151–156.
- The kinetics and regulation of M-xylose transport in Candida utilis
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 357-360
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Candida utilis
- Industry Sectors