Seasonal cycles of abundance in zooplankton populations of Yaquina Bay, Oregon
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Descriptions of the seasonal cycles of abundance of the dominant zooplankters of Yaquina Bay, Oregon, USA, are derived from a 7 year series of net samples taken at two downstream stations. The summer dominants are forms distributed to the north, along the American coast. Winter dominants have sonthern affinities. This cycle is associated with the annual cycle of coastal surface currents: from north to south in summar, reversed in winter. There are no persistent trends in the abundance data from year-to-year.
- Bakun, A.: Coastal upwelling indices West Coast of North America, 1946–1971. NOAA tech. Rep., U.S. Dep. Comm. Spec. scient. Rep. (Fish.) Natn. mar. Fish. Serv. (In press).
- Bourke, R. H., B. Glenne and B. W. Adams: The nearshore physical oceanographic environment of the Pacific Northwest Coast. Ore. St. Univ., Dept. Oceanogr., Ref. 71-45. (1971). (Internal publ.).
- Brodsky, K. A.: Veslonogie rachki Calanoida dal'nevostochnykh morei SSSR i polyarnogo basseina. Opred. Faune SSSR 35, 1–441 (1950).
- Cross, F. A. and L. F. Small: Copepod indicators of surface water movements off the Oregon coast. Limnol. Oceanogr. 12, 60–72 (1967).
- Fleminger, A.: Distributional atlas of calanoid copepods in the California Current region. Pt. 1. Calif. coop. Fish. Invest. Atlas 2, 1–313 (1964).
- Frolander, H. F.: Quantitative estimates of temporal variations of zooplankton off the coast of Washington and British Columbia. J. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 19, 657–675 (1962).
- —: Biological and chemical features of tidal estuaries. J. Wat. Pollut. Control Fed. 36, 1037–1048 (1964)
- —: Statistical variation in zooplankton numbers from subsampling with a stempel pipette. J. Wat. Pollut. Control Fed. 40, R82-R88 (1968).
- Frost, B. and A. Fleminger: A revision of the genus Clausocalanus (Copepoda: Calanoida) with remarks on distributional patterns in diagnostic characters. Bull. Scripps Instn Oceanogr. 12, 1–235 (1968).
- Gemperle, M. and K. Keeling: Geophysical data reduction and plotting computer programs. Oreg. St. Univ., Dep. Oceanogr. Ref. 70-10. 56 pp. (1970). (Internal publ.).
- Goodwin, C. R., E. W. Emmet and B. Glenne: Tidal study of three Oregon estuaries. Oreg. St. Univ. Engng exp. Stn Bull. No. 45, 39 pp. (1970). (Internal publ.).
- Heron, G. A.: Seven species of Eurytemora (Copepoda) from Northwestern North America. Crustaceana 7, 199–211 (1964).
- Miller, C. B.: Zooplankton indicators of the seasonal cycle of currents along the Oregon coast. Trans. Am. microsc. Soc. 91, p. 87 (1972).
- Olson, J. B.: The pelagic cyclopoid copepods of the coastal waters of Oregon, California, and Lower California. Ph. D. Thesis, 208 pp. University of California, Los Angeles 1949.
- Zimmerman, S. T.: Seasonal succession of zooplankton populations in two dissimilar marine embayments on the Oregon coast, Ph. D. Thesis, Oregon State University 1972.
- Seasonal cycles of abundance in zooplankton populations of Yaquina Bay, Oregon
Volume 21, Issue 4 , pp 277-288
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors