Nitrate content and nitrate reductase activity in Rumex obtusifolius L.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
With Rumex obtusifolius L., the influence of some environmental conditions on nitrate uptake and reduction were investigated. Nitrate concentrations of plant material were determined by HPLC, the activity of nitrate reductase by an “in vivo” test. As optimal incubation medium, a buffer containing 0.04 M KNO3; 0.25 M KH2PO4; 1.5% propanol (v/v); pH 8.0 was found. Vacuum infiltration caused an increase of enzyme activity of up to 40%.
High nitrate concentrations were found in roots and leaf petioles. Nitrate reductase activity of these organs, however, was low. On the other hand, the highest nitrate reductase activity was observed in leaf laminae, which contained lowest nitrate concentrations.
In leaves, nitrate content and nitrate reductase activity exhibited inverse diurnal fluctuations. During darkness, decreasing activities of the enzyme were followed by increasing nitrate concentrations, while during light the contrary was true. In petioles diurnal fluctuations in nitrate content were observed, too. No significant correlations with illumination, however, could be found.
Our results prove that Rumex obtusifolius is characterized by an intensive nitrate turnover. Theoretically, internal nitrate content of the plant would be exhausted within a few hours, if a supply via the roots would be excluded.
- Austenfeld FA (1972) Untersuchungen zur Physiologie der Nitratspeicherung und Nitratassimilation von Chenopodium album L. Z Planzenphysiol 67:271–281
- Bakshi JS, Farooqi AHA, Maheswari SC (1978) Circadian rhythm in nitrate reductase activity in the duckweed Wolffia microscopia Griff. Z Pflanzenphysiol 90:165–169
- Beevers L, Hageman RH (1969) Nitrate reduction in higher plants. Ann Rev Plant Physiol 20:495–522
- Beevers L, Hageman RH (1980) Nitrate and nitrite reduction. In: Miflin BJ (ed) The Biochemistry of Plants Vol 5. Academic Press London-New York pp 115–168
- Blahova M, Segeta V (1980) Nitrate reductase activity in the course of cucumber leaf ontogenesis. Biol Plant (Praha) 22 (3):176–182
- Bogner W (1968) Experimentelle Prüfung von Waldbodenpflanzen auf ihre Ansprüche an die Form der Stickstoff-Ernährung. Mitt Ver Forstl Standortsk Forstpflanzenzücht 18:3–45
- Bowerman A, Goodman PJ (1971) Variation in nitrate reductase activity in Lolium. Ann Bot 35:353–366
- Ellenberg H (1977) Stickstoff als Standortsfaktor, insbesondere für mitteleuropäische Pflanzengesellschaften. Oecol Plant 12:1–22
- Hageman RH, Hucklesby DP (1971) Nitrate reductase from higher plants. In: San Pietro A (ed) Methods in Enzymology Vol 23. Academic Press London-New York, pp 491–503
- Hageman RH, Reed AJ, Femmer RA, Sherrard JH, Dalling MJ (1980) Some new aspects of the in vivo assay for nitrate reductase in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) leaves. I. Reevaluation of nitrate pool size. Plant Physiol 65:27–32
- Harper JE, Hageman RH (1972) Canopy and seasonal profiles of nitrate reductase in soybeans (Glycine max L. Merr.). Plant Physiol 49:146–154
- Havill DC, Lee JA, Stewart GR (1974) Nitrate utilization by species from acidic and calcareous soils. New Phytol 73:1221–1231
- Janiesch P (1973a) Beitrag zur Physiologie der Nitrophyten. Nitratspeicherung und Nitratassimilation bei Anthriscus sylvestris Hoffm. Flora 162:479–491
- Janiesch P (1973b) Okophysiologische Untersuchungen an Umbelliferen nitrophiler Säume. Oecol Plant 8:335–352
- Jaworski EG (1971) Nitrate reductase assay in intact plant tissues. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 43:1274–1279
- Jones RW, Sheard RW (1978) Accumulation and stability of nitrite in intact aerial leaves. Plant Sci Lett 11:285–291
- Lee JA, Stewart RG (1978) Ecological aspects of nitrogen assimilation. Adv Bot Res 6:2–43
- Melzer A (1980) Ökophysiologische Aspekte der N-Ernährung submerser Wasserpflanzen Verh Ges Ökol VIII:357–362
- Melzer A, Müller M (1983) In vivo-nitrate reductase activies of different species of Lemnaceae and comparison with endogenous nitrate depletion. Proc Int Symp on Aquat Macrophytes. 18–23 Sept 83 Nijmegen pp 139–144
- Melzer A, Gebauer G, Rehder H (in preparation) Nitrate content and nitrate reductase activity in Rumex obtusifolius L. II. Responses to nitrate starvation and nitrogen fertilization. Oecologia (Berlin)
- Pate JS (1980) Transport and partitioning of nitrogenous solutes. Ann Rev Plant Physiol 31:313–340
- Rao KP, Rains DW (1976a) Nitrate absorption by barley. I. Kinetics and energetics. Plant Physiol 57:55–58
- Rao KP, Rains DW (1976b) Nitrate absorption by barley. II. Influence of nitrate reductase activity. Plant Physiol 57:59–62
- Rehder H (1982) Nitrogen relations of ruderal communities (Rumicion alpini) in the northenn calcareous alps. Oecologia (Berlin) 55:120–129
- Robin P, Conjeero G, Tranchant JP, Passama L, Salsac L (1983) Mesure de la reduction du nitrate dans les feuilles intactes. Physiol Veg 21:123–128
- Smith JL, Rice EL (1983) Differences in nitrate reductase activity between species of different stages in old field succession. Oecologia (Berlin) 57:43–48
- Steer BT (1974) Control of diurnal variations in photosynthetic products. II. Nitrate reductase activity. Plant Physiol 54:762–765
- Steer BT (1976) Rhythmic nitrate reductase activity in leaves of Capsicum annuum L. and the influence of kinetin. Plant Physiol 57:928–932
- Streeter JG, Bosler ME (1972) Comparison of in vitro and in vivo assays for nitrate reductase in soybean leaves. Plant Physiol 49:448–450
- Stulen J, Koch-Bosma T, Koster A (1973) The influence of light and nitrate on the induction of nitrate reductase in dark growth seedlings of Raphanus sativus. Acta Bot Neerl 22:581–588
- Thayer JR, Huffaker RC (1980) Determination of nitrate and nitrite by high-pressure liquid chromatography: comparison with other methods for nitrate determination. Analyt Biochem 102:110–119
- Nitrate content and nitrate reductase activity in Rumex obtusifolius L.
Volume 63, Issue 1 , pp 136-142
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links