Phragmén-lindelöf type results for harmonic functions with nonlinear boundary conditions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper is concerned with investigating the asymptotic behavior of harmonic functions defined on a three-dimensional semi-infinite cylinder, where homogeneous nonlinear boundary conditions are imposed on the lateral surface of the cylinder. Such problems arise in the theory of steady-state heat conduction. The classical Phragmén-Lindelöf theorem states that harmonic functions which vanish on the lateral surface of the cylinder must either grow exponentially or decay exponentially with distance from the finite end of the cylinder. Here we show that the results are significantly different when the homogeneous Dirichlet boundary condition is replaced by the nonlinear heatloss or heat-gain type boundary condition. We show that polynomial growth (or decay) or exponential growth (or decay) may occur, depending on the form of the nonlinearity. Explicit estimates for the growth or decay rates are obtained.
- Bandle, C., Isoperimetric Inequalities and their Applications. Pitman, Essex, 1980.
- Breuer, S. & Roseman, J. J., Phragmén-Lindelöf decay theorems for classes of nonlinear Dirichlet problems in a circular cylinder. J. Math. Anal. Appl. 113, 59–77 (1986).
- Carslaw, H. S. & Jaeger, J. C., Conduction of Heat in Solids (Second Edition). Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1959.
- Flavin, J. N., Knops, R. J. & Payne, L. E., Asymptotic behavior of solutions of semi-linear elliptic equations on the half-cylinder Z. Angew. Math. Phys. 43, 405–421 (1992).
- Fu, S. & Wheeler, L. T., Stress bounds for bars in torsion. J. Elasticity 3, 1–13 (1973).
- Horgan, C. O., Recent developments concerning Saint-Venant's principle: an update. Applied Mechanics Reviews 42, 295–303 (1989).
- Horgan, C. O. & Knowles, J. K., Recent developments concerning Saint-Venant's principle. Advances in Applied Mechanics, J. W. Hutchinson, ed., Vol. 23, pp. 179–269. Academic Press, New York, 1983.
- Horgan, C. O. & Olmstead, W. E., Exponential decay estimates for a class of nonlinear Dirichlet problems. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 71, 221–235 (1979).
- Horgan, C. O. & Payne, L. E., Lower bounds for free membrane and related eigenvalues. Rendiconti di Matematica, Serie VII, 10, 457–491 (1990).
- Horgan, C. O. & Payne, L. E., Decay estimates for a class of nonlinear boundary value problems. SIAM J. Math. Anal. 20, 782–788 (1989).
- Horgan, C. O. & Payne, L. E., A Saint-Venant principle for a theory of nonlinear plane elasticity. Q. Appl. Math. 50, 641–645 (1992).
- Horgan, C. O., Payne, L. E. & Simmonds, J. G., Existence, uniqueness and decay estimates for solutions in the nonlinear theory of elastic, edge-loaded, circular tubes. Quart. Appl. Math. 48, 341–359 (1990).
- Knops, R. J. & Payne, L. E., A Phragmén-Lindelöf principle for the equation of a surface of constant mean curvature (to appear).
- Payne, L. E., Isoperimetric inequalities and their applications. SIAM Review 9, 453–488 (1967).
- Payne, L. E., Bounds for the maximum stress in the St.-Venant torsion problem. Indian J. Mech. Math. (Special issue dedicated to B. Sen) 51–59 (1968).
- Payne, L. E., Some comments on the past fifty years of isoperimetric inequalities, in Inequalities: Fifty Years on from Hardy, Littlewood and Pólya, W. N. Everitt, ed., pp. 143–161, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1991.
- Payne, L. E.. & Philippin, G. A., Isoperimetric inequalities in the torsion and clamped membrane problems for convex plane domains. SIAM J. Math. Anal. 14, 1154–1162 (1983).
- Payne, L. E.. & Weinberger, H. R., An optimal Poincaré inequality for convex domains. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 5, 182–188 (1960).
- Sperb, R. P., Maximum Principles and their Applications. Academic Press, New York, 1981.
- Vafeades, P.. & Horgan, C. O., Exponential decay estimates for solutions of the von Kármán equations on a semi-infinite strip. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 104, 1–25 (1988).
- Phragmén-lindelöf type results for harmonic functions with nonlinear boundary conditions
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis
Volume 122, Issue 2 , pp 123-144
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors